cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading comma delimited datasheet problem

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Application Engineers,

I am doing a program for option trading practices. I downloaded many option chain data from  Barchart.com for a 5-year period from Jan 1 2017 to Dec 31, 2021 and saved all of them as comma delimited (.csv) files.  My program works fine with 4 years (2018-2021) data, however, it does not read any datasheet for the year 2017.

I played around with no luck. No difference was identified when open the files in excel except that columns were arranged in different orders for different years,  this column arrangement difference shall not be the reason for the data reading problem. 

I am inclosing two sheets, one for 2021, one for 2017 for comparison, and a load option chain vi. 

Could someone help me with the issue?  I am using LB2015.

Thanks,

Gu 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(753 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author edmonton

There is something wrong in the filename, there seems to be an illegal character (unicode?)

In windows explorer, it shows as some weird bracket and here in your post there is a space. Rewrite the filename (replace the strange bracket with a real bracket!) and things will work.

altenbach_0-1643678578873.png

Message 2 of 3
(746 Views)

Hi Dr. Altenbach,

It is great that you figured it out. 

I could not understand how it was created because I just needed to change date at the time of saving these files. The left bracket seams a 2-byte character, the right one is a 1-byte character. there are 190 files for 2017. I have to change them all to 1-byte character.   

Thanks a lot.

Gu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(719 Views)