LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading a file from the host machine to RT

Hi there,

I am practicing working with RT systems and I'd like to read a file from my host system. I'm not sure how to grab the file into the RT machine so I can read it using my code though. Can anyone help me out?

The codes are written just need this last step. Would like to get this done ASAP. Thanks! 

Lawrence

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,477 Views)

Currently, are you using shared variables to get data between the RT and Host?

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,470 Views)

Nope. How does this shared variable work?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,468 Views)

Well, more specfically are you communicating between host and RT at all? If so, are you doing so using any particular communication protocol like shared variables (NI-PSP), TCP, UDP etc.? If not, which one would you be interested in using? And, would you want to use FTP?

You just need to read up on some of the communication protocols and then decide for yourself which one you would want to use. And, then do some research on it to get a good hang of it. Here is some information about shared variables:

Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,463 Views)

The reason I asked specifically about the Shared Variable: You can read the file (do all file I/O) on the host machine, then send only the data that is needed to the RT. That way, you don't burden your RT (high priority) code with file I/O. You can do this with the other protocols as well, it's just that I think the shared variables are easy to learn.

Since there's more than one way to do it, there will be more opinions.

Certainly your first chore is to read up on it. 

Message Edited by Broken Arrow on 07-10-2009 07:46 AM
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,445 Views)