LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Large Images In LabVIEW Vision Development Module

Hi,

I am trying to load large images using the LabVIEW Vision Development Module.  Specifically, I am using the IMAQ ReadFile.vi to load an image that is 22108x17615 pixels (389,432,420 total pixels) and has a pixel depth of 32 bits.  When I try to load this image I get the error -1074396159 (not enough memory).  Doing some rough math, I should need approximately 1.6 GB of RAM to load the image (not including any overhead).

I am running this code on a Win 10 64 bit computer with 16 GB of RAM.  I should be able to allocate up to 4 GB for a 32 bit application on Win 10 64 bit.  I understand that for images, this must be a contiguous block of memory and this is likely the problem.

Subsequently, I tried to load this image using GIMP and it loaded successfully.  I looked at the windows task manager and GIMP was using almost 4GB of memory.

I am assuming that GIMP requests a block of continuous memory to load the image.  I am also assuming that the OS has to rearrange memory to accommodate this request.  Again, these are assumptions because I don’t know what’s going on under the hood.

Here’s my question: Is there a way to make a similar request through the Vision Development Module or LabVIEW?  Ultimately, I just need to be able to load this large image in LabVIEW.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brooks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,837 Views)

You are, with this single data structure, perilously close to the 4GB memory space for a 32-bit program (I'm assuming you are running LabVIEW 32-bit).  This may be a situation where you want to run LabVIEW 64-bit, which seems to support the Vision Development Toolkit.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,829 Views)

Thanks for your recommendation Bob.  I am upgrading the source code to LabVIEW 2016 64-bit.  However, I would still like to know if anyone knows how to request the OS to give a contiguous block of memory large enough to load these large images.

Thanks in advance,

Brooks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,735 Views)

Hi Brooks_LV

I'm not all that familiar with the issue you are running into, but I did some research to see if I could find documentation - I think that this white paper may help out:

Managing Large Data Sets in LabVIEW

Regards,

George B.

Application Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,702 Views)