From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading FIFO's in SCTL does not work as a FIFO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I hope this is enough, if not can i post some simple VI's tomorrow.

I have a weird behaviour in my SCTL when reading two instances of the same FIFO, which is set to "never arbitrate".

Below

Im sending an array into the FIFO, for example

fifo_array = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1]

Below i have posted two ways of extracting the array, where i am gathering the data in some fixed arrays of size 4.

Optimal readout which should work, but doesn't:

Return value of analog value = [1,1,1,1]:

image.png

Does work:

return value of analog values = [0,0,0,1]

2x SCTL fifo.PNG

Is there any obvious reason for why this should not work ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,805 Views)

I don't think you could do two FIFO reads in a single cycle, can you?

(I don't do much FPGA.)

Try reading two elements at once instead of reading one element twice.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,783 Views)

That would explain it, i just thought that LabVIEW would complain when i try to compile it.

When you say "Try reading two elements at once instead of reading one element twice.", do you mean pipelining or is there some way that i can read two elements at once ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,776 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zulsig

You need to check the "Timeout" flag.  The FIFO simply returns the last value on a Timeout. If you want to avoid this, then you need to make sure you parse the "Timeout" output of the FIFO accordingly. That could be one problem.

Any reason  why you're sending 7 elements per FIFO and reading 8?

The second is that we have no idea how you're filling the FIFO...... So your statement "This should work" cannot be verified. It also seems like a really weird way of parsing data from a FIFO. Can't you just use a single "Read" primitive and wire the output to a case structure which alternates between the two arrays?

Message 4 of 9
(2,763 Views)

Any reason  why you're sending 7 elements per FIFO and reading 8?

That a mistake, i am sending 8 elements per FIFO

Fifo_write = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

Im filling the FIFO with the help of NiFPGA in python:

https://github.com/ni/nifpga-python

After the FIFO's is loaded the FPGA-target-VI runs.

Can't you just use a single "Read" primitive and wire the output to a case structure which alternates between the two arrays?

Yes, i don't know why i did it like this, thank you! 

This clearly improves it, but just to be sure, is it theoretically possible to read two instances of the same FIFO in a SCTL ? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,752 Views)

This is not an answer to your question, but in your second screenshot you are missing a data flow dependency between your two SCTLs, so there is no way to predict which loop will execute first. Since this code runs on a FPGA it will probably run in parallel.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 6 of 9
(2,748 Views)

Thankyou, that was the problem i was having at the moment!

When i rearranged i forgot to put a wire between the FIFO's to force dataflow.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,746 Views)

So are you saying you have your screenshots reversed? Did the one with the sequence structure work but the one with embedded SCTLs work? I ask because I understood the opposite from your post.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,737 Views)

Sorry, i was a bit to fast in posting my question.

1. The screenshot without the sequence structure, so the one with two SCTL is the one that works.

2. There is a fault in the screenshot, there is supposed to be a wire connected from the first FIFO's reference out to the second FIFO's reference in. that is to ensure dataflow.

I have restructured my loop like this for now (Which works).

CaptureF.PNGCaptureT.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,730 Views)