From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading CPU Usage in 64 BIT labview using pdh.dll dosent work.

hi all

trying to read total cpu usage using pdh.dll but in labview 64 bit it dosent work.

works fine in 32 bit labview.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,019 Views)

You probably need to change some of those handles to pointer sized integers, instead of 32-bit integers.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,003 Views)

thanks for reply

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

You probably need to change some of those handles to pointer sized integers, instead of 32-bit integers.

tried that but didnt worked.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,001 Views)

Can you use the error wires and return values to see where it fails?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,998 Views)

checked that also but it dosent throw any error 

but showing cpu usage value continues zero.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,996 Views)

Is there data in the integers? E.g. before the cast? You might need to cast to a sgl, displaying a double as a single isn't the same.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,991 Views)

Hi AtulS,

in labview 64 bit it dosent work. works fine in 32 bit labview.

Do you call a 64bit-version of the DLL with LabVIEW64bit?

AFAIK LabVIEW32bit calls 32bit DLLs, and LabVIEW64bit wants to call 64bit-DLLs…

(I might be wrong, so RolfK might jump in…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,973 Views)

In my experience, that should be transparent for the user. A 64 bit application can call the old kernel32.dll and user32.dll, and Windows will handle that gracefully. Also, I don't think there is a user64.dll and kernel64.dll (for example).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,965 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

In my experience, that should be transparent for the user. A 64 bit application can call the old kernel32.dll and user32.dll, and Windows will handle that gracefully. Also, I don't think there is a user64.dll and kernel64.dll (for example).

Depends on how it's called.  If you just call it using the dll name, you should be fine.  If you specified a path, then you're not.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 15
(2,963 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

No there isn't! As long as you only specifiy the DLL name without any path you are definitely safe as Windows will automatically defer to either the SysWOW64 (when called from 32-Bit LabVIEW) or System32 (when called from 64-Bit LabVIEW) directory to look for the respective DLL Even if you happen to specifically include the whole path Windows will automatically redirect to the correct directory based on the bitness of the calling process, unless you called the Windows API to disable redirection.

However with fully included path, the LabVIEW application builder will consider the DLL as a private dependency of the application and then copy the DLL into the application directory to reference it there. This is ALWAYS bad for system DLLs as you do not want system DLLs to be copied into the application folder. The problem here is that LabVIEW has no secure way to detect if a DLL is a system DLL or just a DLL that a user copied himself into the system directory, so using the path to determine if it is a system DLL is not safe and using a blacklist is never complete as the number of system DLLs in the system folder can change depending on various software components that may or may not be installed in your Windows version.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 10 of 15
(2,956 Views)