LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read string control on pressing enter

I have a string control and a boolean button. The button is the input of a case structure. If TRUE I read the string control and send it through serial.

I want to set the button TRUE when I press ENTER (on the keyboard) after I finished typing into the string control.

I want to mention that I already set the "End text entry with Enter key" in Tools>Options>Environment.

Best regards,

Dragos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,932 Views)

A much simpler way to do this is to forget about the button and use LabVIEW's Event Structure.  When you press Enter while entering text into a String Control, you change the value that the Control represents.  The Event Structure lets you execute code when a Control's Value changes, just what you are describing.  If you don't know about them, there are a number of tutorials and White Papers on them including this,

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 4
(3,929 Views)

I know that´s an old thread. But I´m sure there are lots of people with the same question.

There are two solutions:

1. Right click on the button --> Properties --> Key Navigation --> Set "Toggle" to "Return" --> OK

2. Do the same thing programmatically (necessary if you want to assign the Return key to another button while the program is running. In this case you can simply use a property node like in the attached example vi.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,333 Views)

test

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,293 Views)