From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read on parallel port with labview 7.1

Hello

I want to read on the parrallel port an 16 bits words, i am already using the SubVI "inports 16".
I got a problem and i don't know how to use this SubVI correctly. Can you help me please?

Regards

Alex
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,807 Views)
Hi Alexis,

You can find some useful examples by using the "Example Finder" within the Help menu. Simply do a search on "Parallel Port". These should get you going. Also look at the following links:

Read the pdf in this link.

Here is another link.

R.
Message 2 of 7
(2,801 Views)
Hi

I write my bytes words on a parallel port and it works fine. Then i want to read them, for the 8 bits word it's ok but for the 16 bits i can't find the right address of the pin and i try on all of them with basic Labview VI "inport".
I send you the example of my send and read programm for an 8 bits word, can you help me to transform it to send and READ a 16 bits words.

(try with pilot 8 bits)

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,773 Views)
If I understand correctly, you want to read 16 bits in a single pass using the parallel port.

That may be a challenge since there are only 8 data bits and 4 control bits (that is if my memory is correct..)

You can use the 4 control bits for data if you set the port properly (my brain does not recall all the process for this one)...

However, you'll be missing 4 bits for the word write / read. The alternative is two shots.

You could use a 16-bit latch and use a control signal to capture / release the data. However, you would need two cycle each (write or read).

It's been a while since I read that pdf doc. I do remember that there were trick you could do with the port, but I cannot remember extending it to 16 bits.

R.
Message 4 of 7
(2,769 Views)
Hi,

If i well understand i will be obliged to read two 8 bits words? In my last rply i've post my VI for send and read 8 bits. On it (it's not a great VI I know) i read one bit at the time at each bit send. But when i do the same thing for 16 bits word, doesn't work AND i read one bit at the time so it will be correct but it isn't.

HELP!

Thank you

Alexis
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,741 Views)
Bonjour,

Je crains que la solution ne soit de diviser votre mot de 16 bits en 2 mots de 8 bits.
Cordialement,

David D.
Message 6 of 7
(2,723 Views)
To translate what David said: "Je crains que la solution ne soit de diviser votre mot de 16 bits en 2 mots de 8 bits."

It looks like you will have to divide your 16 bits into two (2) 8-bits.

I have to agree with David.

-JLV-
Message 7 of 7
(2,715 Views)