LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read animated GIF file

Hi all,

I want to read animated gif files in labview as well as I want to control the same on block diagram. In labview palette, there is no option to read gif file like read png, jpg, bmp.

Is there any possible way to do it? And i want to optimize the vi memory also.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,900 Views)

Hi Ragunath,

a quick search yields this: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8D5E7940947C60B486256E92007F46D0

Does this help you with the importing part of your question?

As for the controlling of the gif: Assuming you mean to control the displayed image, you'd probably be better off just using a picture ring instead. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/71C97F0EBCE22803862569C400729606?OpenDocument

Please let me know if that's not what you want to control if this is not it.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,880 Views)

OpenG Picture package can read GIF files and return each frame of the GIF, along with the delay betwen images.  I've never personally used it but after installing it the VI can be found here.

<LabVIEW>\user.lib\_OpenG.lib\picture\picture.llb\Read GIF File (Animated)__ogtk.vi

This information could be used to try to update a picture control at the timed intervals.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,808 Views)

If you just want to display an animated GIF, you can use a Web Browser control and load the image's file path as the URL.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 4 of 6
(3,749 Views)

for some kind of trick you can use copy image to clipboard method if you test this you will be see that you can insert gif image animation into front panel of labveiw then you can make scalel to pan and use it this vi as subi any where that you want see this gif 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,729 Views)

Yeah we don't have any reply from OP yet but I think the answer is:  If you want to just display a GIF you can by either dragging from Windows Explorer to the Front Panel (or the copy to clipboard).  If you want to actually read a GIF file use the OpenG function.  And if you want to read a GIF file to display it, and maybe the GIF to be loaded can change, then use the ActiveX webbrowser interface loading the path to the GIF.

It really depends on if the GIF to be loaded changes, and if the contents are important, or just the displayed image.  Neither of which OP was clear on.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,724 Views)