cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read INA219 power sensor data with NI USB-6210

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all,

I would like to use the power sensor INA219 to measure the heating power. So far as I know, the sensor data can be easily obtained by using an Arduino. Can I also direct sample and read the sensor data via NI USB-6210 without Arduino?

many thanks for taking your time reading.

Best wishes,

Lee

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,509 Views)

Of course, yes, instead of wiring the Signal to Analog pins of Arduino, you would wire them to the Analog Inputs of 6210.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 8
(1,486 Views)

Judging from the fritzing diagram you uploaded your INA219 uses I2C for communication. The USB-6210 is not well suited for this protocol. NI suggests you use one of their FPGA's or a USB-8451 for this task.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 3 of 8
(1,459 Views)
Solution
Accepted by TUDarmstadtLLX

@GovBob wrote:

Judging from the fritzing diagram you uploaded your INA219 uses I2C for communication. The USB-6210 is not well suited for this protocol. NI suggests you use one of their FPGA's or a USB-8451 for this task.

Oh pish and tosh! 

WTFAYT?

• stick a shunt inline with the load (R5 of the INA219)
  • Run the differential into an ADC (on the INA219)
  • Read ADC count formated into I2C 
  • Transfer count to Arduino or 8451

Ridiculous (Unless you REALLY are competing in a Rube-Goldburg competition!)

Just wire a 1 ohm shunt resistor in place of the INA219 and use the 6210 to measure a differential Voltage across the shunt.  Save yourself a bunch of money!  Then use Ohms Law to calculate the load (I = E / R)  Amps equals Volts divided by one.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 8
(1,451 Views)

I will take back my comment, no it is not straightforward, I overlooked the sensor being an I2C and just judged it to be analog output.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 5 of 8
(1,445 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

I will take back my comment, no it is not straightforward, I overlooked the sensor being an I2C and just judged it to be analog output.

If you really have to use the INA219 don't even bother powering it and just read across the analog input

Message 6 of 8
(1,439 Views)

As I have already bought this 6210, my 6210 will measure data from other sensors. For the power sensor, I also bought an Arduino board to obtain the data. My question is if it's okay for my laptop use both Arduino board and the USB 6210 at the same time for obtaining the sensor data. As my laptop has only one available USB port, can I just order a USB splitter?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,386 Views)

@TUDarmstadtLLX wrote:

As I have already bought this 6210, my 6210 will measure data from other sensors. For the power sensor, I also bought an Arduino board to obtain the data. My question is if it's okay for my laptop use both Arduino board and the USB 6210 at the same time for obtaining the sensor data. As my laptop has only one available USB port, can I just order a USB splitter?

USB expansion is very easy. Several manufacturers provide expansion HUBs and are readily available everywhere.

Message 8 of 8
(1,382 Views)