From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it possible to directly read a barcode into Labview?

So. There are a few option:

1) Use current scanner and start rowing against the stream (find a work around).

2) Buy a scanner that does what you want.

3) Find out if the current scanner can be configured what you want.

Message 21 of 26
(959 Views)

Hello, 

I am currently trying to setup a Motorola/Symbol/Zebra 1D barcode scanner to operate with through Labview. The intent is to have the labview software act as a go between to take input from scanning a serial number and output to a test device, triggering the correct test based on the scanned result. 

I would prefer to not use the keyboard based method of data entry (default HID) due to it requiring the computer in question have the cursor focused on the text entry field, which I can not guarantee in my specific setup. So I have the device running as a Serial COM device. 

I got as far as detecting device with NI-MAX using VISA Test Panel, but I am unsure where I should be looking / finding tutorials to enter in those VISA commands to actually read them. I can't seem to find how to have a VI "listen" for the external Serial port signal.  This is one of my first dives into LabView software (using Labview NXG), so I may be missing some guideposts here that seem obvious to a seasoned user, any assistance beyond "google it" is very welcomed! (google lead me here after all). 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(663 Views)

jdiluzio3322,

You've posted to a thread that's already several years old - you may want to start a new thread.  That said, it's a recurrent request - using a barcode reader, how do I get characters into a LabVIEW application?

I can't help you very directly (as in, send you working code) if you're working in NXG - I'm one of those 20+ year users of "classic" LabVIEW, and it's looking like I'll stay that way - but I can point you to a reply I posted in another thread, coincidentally just today, about how I approach the problem.  It's not even really a problem anymore, just a well-worn technique.  You can review my reply in that context here .

I'm 90+ % sure that NXG has the equivalent structures - VISA support, event handling - to implement what's described in that reply.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 23 of 26
(650 Views)

I would recommend that you use regular LabVIEW. NXG will not be supported by NI any longer. If I am not mistaken, version 5.1 is the last version. LabVIEW will continue to be supported.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 24 of 26
(622 Views)

Yes, I am starting to get the impression that I was led astray on which version was right for my use case. LabView NXG was suggested based on going through NI's interface, but most all support I can find is on LabView. 

Thank you all for the assistance. 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(613 Views)

And if you take @Mark_Yedinak's recommendation, I will be able to give you a working code example, so there is that 😊

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 26
(611 Views)