LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GUI

Hi, I need help. I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. I'm using this GUI for ultrasound data to store in the system as a CSV file. first of all, I'm new to LabVIEW.anyone can help me where I should start or learn?

Thanks,

Chandran bose

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,136 Views)

Hi.... I need help. I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. I'm using this GUI for ultrasound data to store in the system as a CSV file. first of all, I'm new to LabVIEW.anyone can help me where I should start or learn?

Thanks,

Chandran bose

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,139 Views)

Hi.... I need help. I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. I'm using this GUI for ultrasound data to store in the system as a CSV file. first of all, I'm new to LabVIEW.anyone can help me where I should start or learn?

Thanks,

Chandran bose

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,139 Views)

Hi, I need help. I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. I'm using this GUI for ultrasound data to store in the system as a CSV file. first of all, I'm new to LabVIEW.anyone can help me where I should start or learn?

Thanks,

Chandran bose

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,130 Views)

Thanks,

Chandran bose

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,127 Views)

Hi Chadran,

@chandranbose wrote:

anyone can help me where I should start or learn?

In the header of the LabVIEW board you will find "Training resources". This will help you to learn LabVIEW!

@chandranbose wrote:

I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. 

I'm not sure this is the right project for someone completely "new to LabVIEW"…

@chandranbose wrote:

Hi.... I need help.

Apparently you also need help to learn how to use this forum at all!

Why do you think it is a good idea to create all those identical messages in all those threads in parallel?

(I merged them all into your own thread…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 10
(1,132 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

@chandranbose wrote:

I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow. 

I'm not sure this is the right project for someone completely "new to LabVIEW"…

I'm actually quite sure: That it is not!

New to LabVIEW can mean two things basically:

If literally meant, the person has more or less extensive programming experience in traditional text based programming. In that case he or she will likely struggle with the dataflow paradigme of LabVIEW and soon start ranting about how LabVIEW is so not a programming language.

Or it is a broader statement about being new to computer programming in general beyond the obligatory "Hello World" programma and bubble sort algorithm in some CS course during high school. In that case the nature of this task about interfacing to the external hardware together with learning basic programming techniques, is going to overwhelm them and likely "repair" the death slow program into a non-working one.

In both cases "starting to learn to walk before you try to run" is a very good advice and for that I would also recommend those training links mentioned by Gerd.

Also that death slow operation may be caused by bad programming but it could also be simply the result of how that Cypress hardware is connected to the computer. If that is a serial port, through Virtual COMM over USB for instance, this could be very slow if the Cypress board does not implement an USB3 link with super high speed mode. In such a case no magic wand and super programming power will be able to make it much faster, even if there may be still some optimization potential  in the current program. It will depend a lot on how old this Cypress FPGA device is and how it connects to the PC.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 10
(1,119 Views)

sorry @ GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,072 Views)

Understanding the dataflow paradigm is not always easy, combining it with some FPGA programming can be quite complex for someone who is new to programming.

LabVIEW has its pros and cons like any other computer languages.

During my work I experienced laggy GUI when

- I called camera DLLs in the GUI thread

- I overloaded the GUI thread with graph plotting tasks

- I saved data continuosly to the hard drive

In the first case the GUI thread waited until the camera responded, which took a while with an exposure time of 500 ms. I modified all the VIs those handled the camera to call the DLLs in another thread, and that helped a lot.

In the second case I accidentally plotted about 10000 images per second, and it slowed down the GUI thread, because it fulfilled its buffer(s). That was a programming error, I corrected it and then the software ran like a charme.

In the third case I had to synchronize the writing to HDD and the plotting tasks to make sure that everything will work as it has to.

As you can see, the GUI thread has many tasks, and if one overloads it, the software can become laggy. I suspect that in your case

- the GUI thread might be waiting on your FPGA, and as a result, it cannot react on your actions

- there can be some Event structures those lock the GUI in some cases

- the GUI thread has too many tasks like saving data to HDD, etc.

Best wishes,

WhrlpoolMind

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,052 Views)

@chandranbose wrote:

Hi, I need help. I have a GUI file that was interfaced with FPGA via cypress fx3. It's working fine but dead slow.

That could mean a lot of things.

Maybe you just don't have enough resources.

Maybe you're wasting resources.

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

It will be hard to help without knowing anything about the code. Then again, you're only asking for help on starting to learn...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,029 Views)