LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Configurable Test Sequence

Hi, 

I've been wondering about a situation and a way around it.
Let's say I have 3 Test Sequences Seq1, Seq2, Seq3 which have similar tests but the Tolerance limits of value and the order in which steps are executed are different.

For Example:

Seq1 has the following test in the given order:

1. TestA

2. TestB

3. TestC

4. TestD

Seq2 has the following test in the given order:

1. TestB

2.TestD

3.TestA

Seq3 may perform only one test:

1.TestC

I was considering usinq Queues and Enqueuing N-elements.

But soon realised it will be troublesome.

Has anyone does this before? or has any idea how to go about the situation?

Regards,

Linus Koli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(1,178 Views)

Hi Linus,

@linu95k wrote:

What's wrong with a QMH (QueuedMessageHandler)?

Why do you think this approach is "troublesome"?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(1,151 Views)

This screams Queued State Machine...

In fact I have used a QSM for pretty much the same purpose, to allow the end user to select what sequence they wanted to perform each test.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(1,145 Views)

We put our test limits in a database.  Each limit spec is identified by 4 items:

• DUT P/N
  • Test Name
  • Step Name
  • Parameter Name
"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(1,122 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Linus,

@linu95k wrote:

What's wrong with a QMH (QueuedMessageHandler)?

Why do you think this approach is "troublesome"?

What was troublesome about it? Perhaps if you showed some code outlining your approach we could help to identify the issue. This is exactly the approach that I would take.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(1,113 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

This screams Queued State Machine...

Actually it screams Test Stand.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(1,091 Views)

I had the same notion, however I am not very good with Test Stand. I know the basics of it however I have never created a complete application with Test Stand. Can anyone please provide me resources on how to use custom UI with Test Stand and how to build an exe using Test Stand.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(1,064 Views)

The reason why feel this is troublesome is if at some point the end user wants to change the Order of execution in a pre-code set Sequence. We will again have to make changes to the source code. 

Or even to add a new sequence we will have to make changes to the code.

The end result which I am hoping to achieve is to keep Order of execution and Adding new Sequences re-configurable to the end user. 

i.e. we could change it by changing a configuration file or something instead of the code.

The Idea was to keep the Steps involved in Test Sequence Files which maybe CSV or INI and Maintain all these files in Folder and Programmatically create, edit or delete these Test Sequence Files.

The problem is matching the String with the Enum on the case structure. And preventing the user from entering invalid values.

Okay there is something I have in mind I'll probably try it and then Post the code maybe.

I believe Test Stand is the correct way to approach his problem however I am not very good with it.

Regards,

Linus Koli

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(1,061 Views)

All your requirements qualify as the target use case for TestStand. Given you're completely new to TestStand and you need to build custom applications around it, you definitely need a CTA level experienced developer to consult and develop.

TestStand is another universe like LabVIEW on its own, using it is one side and customizing it is on another level. The best path forward would be to reach out to NI Alliance partners in your region to help adopt TestStand. On the other hand, please be advised that TestStand has its own licensing terms and various licenses (Note: you don't create an exe out of TestStand sequence, you run the Sequence with a TS Deployment license - yes, you need a separate license for that https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/electronic-test-instrumentation/application-software-for-electronic-te...)

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(1,056 Views)

I like this question!  How do we get large user defined test configurations?

There are a lot of ways to go about it and a not of subject matter that could be covered answering how.

MOST of those concerns are addressed in an old Community Nugget Series I presented starting here

and continuing Here

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(1,033 Views)