LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw Hexadecimal to Floating Point Conversion for RPM readings from an Inverter

I am receiving my values in the following format "0203 045F FFBC EA1A 58" where I pull out the data part which is "5F FF BC EA" this is the RPM value of the inverter when it is not rotating, it is oscillating between " 00 00 00 00", I would like to learn how to interpret it as positive and negative floating point number.

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,992 Views)

Be careful with the word "format", because you have a binary string in hex display. (Not a formatted string with  characters 0..F, space delimiters, etc)

What RPM value do you expect from the given string? Do you know the byte order?

As a first step we might try typecasting to SGL. (array reversed or plain). Is there any scaling involved?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,963 Views)

It should be around -0.03 rpm( I am at home but it should be around this value), LeastSignificantBit to MostSignificantBit(LSB-to-MSB is the bit order in a byte) and no scaling. Eventually while doing the tests that I want to do it will be rotating to one direction only.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,942 Views)

@ardahatunoglu wrote:

LeastSignificantBit to MostSignificantBit(LSB-to-MSB is the bit order in a byte.

"Bit order" in a byte is not a thing. Byte order defines the order of bytes in multi-byte data.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,932 Views)

Just playing around with the data, it is definitely not a raw SGL.  So what does the documentation say on how to interpret the data?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,876 Views)

Thanks for helping out by the way I learned a lot already which I didn't have almost any idea about endianness. I am using MODBUS RTU which generally implements  IEEE 754 standard. Big Endian should be the format. So the hex that I wrote "5FFFBCEA" coressponds to 3.6855722E19 which indicates there is a problem

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,870 Views)

@ardahatunoglu wrote:

It should be around -0.03 rpm( I am at home but it should be around this value), LeastSignificantBit to MostSignificantBit(LSB-to-MSB is the bit order in a byte) and no scaling.

There has to be scaling of some sort.  Again, playing around, I came up with this setup.  Double check to documentation and correct as necessary.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,869 Views)

@ardahatunoglu wrote:

I am receiving my values in the following format "0203 045F FFBC EA1A 58" where I pull out the data part which is "5F FF BC EA" this is the RPM value of the inverter when it is not rotating, it is oscillating between " 00 00 00 00", I would like to learn how to interpret it as positive and negative floating point number.

Thanks in Advance!

If I take the raw data "5F FF BC EA" and swap the order of the words to "BCEA5FFF" and feed that into the IEEE-754 converter here, I get a decimal value of -2.8610228e-2, or about -0.0286, which sounds like the -0.03 you're expecting to see.

Message 8 of 10
(2,838 Views)

@AaronTeitlebaum wrote:
If I take the raw data "5F FF BC EA" and swap the order of the words to "BCEA5FFF" and feed that into the IEEE-754 converter here, I get a decimal value of -2.8610228e-2, or about -0.0286, which sounds like the -0.03 you're expecting to see.

Yep, that seems a lot more likely than what I posted earlier.

GCentral
Message 9 of 10
(2,828 Views)

there was no way I could have done without you two. thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,731 Views)