LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTOS

Please help me understand LabView RT and my options.
- Is there an alternative OS that will interface with NI PXI hardware. In particular, what level of driver support is available to interface via traditional C/C++ software.
- Is it possible to just create simple tasks as part of VI and call DLL 'C++" code to perform necessary RT control without all the GUI RT fluff?
- Is there a web site showing how to interface to the NI RT system without the need to use the GUI to program. This GUI programming approach seems constraining and does not promote an OPEN ARCHITECTURE for third party vendors to compete with.
Tom.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Tom,

Depending on the controller, you can also use Windows 2000 (or NT/98). You might be successful with another OS, but we have only fully tested the systems with the operating systems that they can ship with (Windows 2000/NT/98 or LabVIEW RTOS). The PXI-8140 controllers only run the LabVIEW RTOS. Within Windows, you can access the NI-DAQ driver from C/C++, but then Windows is not a real-time OS, so determinism is no longer guaranteed. You might have to resort to register level programming to control NI PXI hardware within your OS.

You can call DLLs or C code in LabVIEW Real-Time within certain guidelines. See Programming for the LabVIEW Real-Time Module Using LabWindows/CVI.

When you refer to "GUI RT fluff", what do you mean? Are you referring to using the RT Development system to configure an RT Engine and download code, or making .VIs through Graphical Programming?

Also, PXI hardware from third party vendors is supported in LabVIEW Real-Time through register level programming using VISA, see Using VISA to Write Drivers Supported in LabVIEW Real-Time for Third Party PXI Cards..

You said "the GUI programming approach seems constraining". What constraints are you referring to? I think that you will find that is actually quite powerfull. What is it that you are trying to do? Is finding out how to do it in LabVIEW the difficulty? If so, you may want to take some training courses. Visit our Training web page. We have instructor led courses, self-paced courses, and online courses. There is also a course for LabVIEW Real-Time called Real-Time Measurement and Control Systems.

Regards,

Chad H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Thank you for the response.
- For a PXI-8175, can I use Windows 2K or ONLY Labview RTOS? What about a third party x86 OS?
- Will the Windows drivers you supply with NI DAQ/Switch cards work on the PXI-8175 running windows 2k?
- All I seem to here from NI is that Labview RT is the only way to work with NI hardware. This seems to imply NI is a closed system. I want to evaluate an alternative to NI Labview RT and don't want to be constrained to NI(if that is our final evaluation conclusion), so what other OS systems can I use with a certain level of driver support on NI hardware. I want an OPEN system solution. That is all I am asking, some direction or reference to a possible alternative.
- In terms of constraints, the pool of software engineers tr
ained in c/c++ is much greater than LabViewRT. The level of learning curve to implement a system using a new approach with this particular proprietary RTOS may pose a risk to our system. In a nutshell, scripting playback/recording via GUI, 1 ms realtime response for 10+ I/O, 40+ I/O control soft-realtime, CAN communication and other bus communications, TCP/IP to external PC.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Tom,

With a PXI-8175 controller, Windows 2000 and the LabVIEW RTOS are supported. You might be successful with a third party OS, but we have only fully tested the systems with the operating systems that they can ship with (Windows 2000/NT/98 or LabVIEW RTOS). The issue will be to make sure that you have the appropriate drivers.

We have NI-DAQ drivers for DOS, Windows, our LAbVIEW RTOS, and Macintosh. See the Drivers and Updates page: http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/MainPage?ReadForm&node=132010_US

People use NI hardware all the time without LAbVIEW Real-Time. If you don't need deterministic real-time processing, then using C/C++ in Windows with NI-DAQ is just fine. You may want to consider using Measurement Studio to make things easier.

Third party software vendors have been known to write register level programs to control NI hardware (not very fun).

If you want real-time response, Windows can't guarantee it, so that is why LabVIEW Real-Time was developed. Do you really need real-time performance, or is Windows adequate for you? Which other RTOS did you want to use?

Regards,

Chad H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Chad,

Pharlap ETS, which I understand is really the kernel of LabView RT. Now, if you could provide the drivers that work with the Pharlap ETS, I would be all set. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Tom,

For the RTOS, we only provide drivers that work with LabVIEW Real-Time(RT). The drivers that come with LabVIEW RT are designed to be used from the LabVIEW RT Development System. Contact your District Sales Manager (DSM) for more information and to discuss other options. If you don't know who the DSM is for your area, please call (800) 433-3488. You can discuss with the DSM your needs and they will see what they can do for you.

Regards,

Chad H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,358 Views)
Tom,

With a PXI-8175 controller, Windows 2000 and the LabVIEW RTOS are supported. You might be successful with a third party OS, but we have only fully tested the systems with the operating systems that they can ship with (Windows 2000/NT/98 or LabVIEW RTOS). The issue will be to make sure that you have the appropriate drivers.

We have NI-DAQ drivers for DOS, Windows, our LabVIEW RTOS, and Macintosh. See the Drivers and Updates page: http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/MainPage?ReadForm&node=132010_US

People use NI hardware all the time without LabVIEW Real-Time. If you don't need deterministic real-time processing, then using C/C++ in Windows with NI-DAQ is just fine. You may want to consider using Measurement Studio to make things easier.

Third party software vendors have been known to write register level programs to control NI hardware (not very fun).

If you want real-time response, Windows can't guarantee it, so that is why LabVIEW Real-Time was developed. Do you really need real-time performance, or is Windows adequate for you? Which other RTOS did you want to use?

Regards,

Chad H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,358 Views)