From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT targets and real time applications

Solved!
Go to solution

What is the differences between RT targets and Real time Applications? Where I use one and the other? I'm using a MyRIO

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,435 Views)

RT target is the device the application runs on.  In your case the myRIO.  The RT application is the software running on it.

Note that it is the controller part of a myRIO.  Below that is the FPGA which has different code you write for it which is compiled into BIT files.

Message 2 of 6
(2,423 Views)

For example: I'm doing a controller in myRIO and I need to use MathScript for calculate some parameters. So that I put MathScript on real-time application for the calculation and I send it to FPGA where it is my controller. And RT-target, for what I use it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,407 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gomezramones

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

If you have code running on the myRIO controller, that code is called real-time code, and it is running on the myRIO which is a real-time target.   The real-time code on that real-time controller can be programmed to talk to any code that you have deployed to the FPGA fabric as a Bitfile.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,402 Views)

Ok now I get it, my confusion was due to my boss told me that the controller should be on FPGA but like you said before that the controller code could be programmed on Real-time target and it can interact with the code that I make on the FPGA. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,397 Views)

Correct.

What may be causing the confusion and the way your boss said things that way is that many of the RIO's.  I know the cRIO, I'm not as familiar with the myRIO, the FPGA is within the same physical pieces of hardware as the real-time controller, but they separate portions of the hardware that communicate directly with each other.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,394 Views)