LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 error! Missing serial connection to interface card IFC5

HI,

I am currently working on a project to control a CNC machine using LabVIEW. I have installed the LabVIEW driver for the CNC but currently its not working. When I try to use a vi that I got from the LabVIEW driver to use as an initial test, this VI will bring the CNC back to its orginal reference position. But when I try to run it, it is showing an error i.e RS232 error! Missing serial connection to interface card IFC5. I am not sure what is the problem. All the connections have been properly made. We tried running the CNC with its own software which is called PAL PC and it runs properly. But when I used LabVIEW I am getting this error. Not sure what to do. Also the CNC is iMC-S8 from iSEL. Please do kindly help me. I have also attached the VI which I was trying to do the test run with.

Sincerely

Govind

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,237 Views)

Hi Govind,

I can't open the VI as I'm still running an older version of LabVIEW, but the most obvious suggestions here would be:

1) You haven't selected the correct COM Port to control the CNC machine in the Test VI.

2) The developer Hardcoded the COM Port and you need to change it.

3) Your COM Port driver is not installed correctly and Windows/LabVIEW can't see it.

4) You have a flow control/baud rate definition setup issue in windows.

(All of the above assume the Test VI worked when shipped.) - if not, contacting the seller of the machine for support is a good place to start.

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,204 Views)

Without all the subVIs there's almost nothing in the VI you attached that we can use to help you troubleshoot. Can you attach the entire project?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,191 Views)

The subvis are not from me. They are VIs i got when I installed the LabVIEW driver. So I can give you the whole package here. The attachment contains all the vis. So u copy that to the user.lib folder of your national instruments labview folder, then these vis will come in your labview. Just check it and tell me what is the error please. Also I have attached a screenshot also. Thank u. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,181 Views)

Does the error message mean anything to you? Does your computer have a serial connection to interface card IFC5, and is the configuration file MctlIFC5.ini correct as far as you know?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,177 Views)