Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 NI MAX Communication with BK precision instrument

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using 1901B from bk prevision. 

On the "Programming Manual" page 11 shows how to use command set to communicate with the instrument. 

I am trying to use those command from LabVIEW to control the 1901B 

I can see the COM port in my NI MAX but when I give the command code it shows time out error. I checked the configuration as mentioned on the manual and all looks ok. 

Also I try to user Tera Term serial port , once connected I cant see any debug message and I can't type anything in the tera term. 

Can you please let me know what might be the issue. 

Regards,

Vikash 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,684 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VikashKumar23

You entered " [CR] " which is the manual's way of designating a carriage return.  You literally entered that which means nothing to MAX or the device.  You literally sent the brackets and the letter C and R.

In MAX, enter the command, but type "\r"  (without the quotes).  That is the way MAX and LabVIEW visually show you want to send a single carriage return byte.

Message 2 of 5
(2,666 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VikashKumar23

Hi Vikash,

when they talk about "[CR]" they don't mean just those 4 characters literally, but the CarriageReturn char aka CR aka 0D (in hex display) aka \r (in \-code display).

See the ASCII definitions!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 5
(2,664 Views)

so, you mean type something like:

GETD \r

I'm having the same problem, i'm trying to communicate with a BK precision 1900b power supply,

judam12_0-1702332655038.jpeg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(401 Views)

Hi judam,

@judam12 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, i'm trying to communicate with a BK precision 1900b power supply,

Because you also wrote "GETD[CR]". Did you read my 5 years old comment?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 5
(388 Views)