LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS-232 Error

All,

I am working on developing a labview application on a remote computer.  I then build the application as an EXE and distribute it to another computer.  I have run into a problem, when I try to run the program.  I have a drop down box that I can select the communication VISA serial source.  When I refresh this drop down menu, it only returns the Ethernet device.  My COM1 and COM2 ports are not an option for this menu.  I have tested the port through hyper terminal, but I am unable to select it from the labview files I compiled in Labview 8.0.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,628 Views)
Does this drop-down VISA resource work on a VI?  As opposed to your built executable? 

Regards,

-Khalid
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,614 Views)
I do not know, as I have no way to test that.  Since I can only install the runtime engine, I cannot run a regular VI on this machine.  Do you know of any other ways that I can do that on this machine that does not have a full version of labview installed?

Thanks,

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,613 Views)
Did you also include the VISA run-time with the installation?
Message 4 of 7
(2,608 Views)

I do not know.  I will see what I can do and repost soon.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,606 Views)
Hi Joseph,

In order to see the serial ports in the VISA resource name meny, you will need to install either NI-VISA, or the NI-VISA runtime engine on your target computer.  You can find downloads for both here.

Regards,

Ebele O.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(2,581 Views)

Thanks guys!

That seemed to help.

Joe

Message 7 of 7
(2,572 Views)