From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS 232 + Camera

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello every one, I have two questions:
1- how can I save the data from the serial ports RS 232 on labview?
2- how can I make a camera on labview and save the video.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(2,945 Views)

What does it mean "who can I"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(2,944 Views)

Sorry I mean how can I

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(2,941 Views)

@hmed wrote:
Hello every one, I have two questions:
1- how can I save the data from the serial ports RS 232 on labview?
2- how can I make a camera on labview and save the video.
Thank you

1. VISA

2. You need webcam interface for that. Explore it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(2,932 Views)

thank you

For RS 232 I use VISA but I cant save the result

and for camera too , I have use the interface webcam but Too I cant save the video.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(2,914 Views)

For Saving the result, You need to read the Port data by VISA read functionality.After Reading that write in a File you needed (propably Text File).

Regards,

Sakthimurugan.S

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(2,910 Views)

For reading data from the serial port check out the LabVIEW examples under Help >> Find Examples in the Hardware Input and Output >> Serial Folder.

For recording a video of your screen it's probably better to use some screen capture software rather than pointing a video at it. Check out a couple different options I know of offhand below:

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

http://obsproject.com/

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(2,894 Views)
It does not seem any one has read what the original poster has said. He is already reading the serial port so recomendations to use VISA and the serial example is silly. He says he already has the web cam interface so the responses to how to save the image are equally silly.

hmed.

Please attach your code with some details on exactly how you want the data saved and what sort of errors you get when you try.
Message 8 of 24
(2,891 Views)

I am also stuck on a similar project. I am taking data from a tensile tester on Serial port. So this part is set.

But I want to give an additional functionality of allowing the user to save the graph as a video (perhaps as a screen capture video) and also take a realtime video of the test being conducted.

Then I want to club the 2 videos together so that the user can PLAY the test and see how the product was getting stretched as the graph moves on.

A wonderful value addition indeed.

But I really dont know how to how to capture graph as a video and how to save it and also save thw webcam input to a video file on the PC.

Anyone worked on a similar app ?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(2,883 Views)
Please don't hijack an unrelated thread. Please start a new one but first consider just saving the acquired data as a text or binary file. Using a webcam is something separate.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(2,879 Views)