From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

READING EXCEL SHEET WITHOUT ACTIVEX

Hi,

I want to know if is it possible to read an excel sheet in labview without  activex control. The application which i work on is design to be targeted to the CVS which doesn't support ActiveX control. so i got to find a pass of doing that. Can someone help me with this issue?

Best Regards,

Tchaou.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Function\File IO\Read From Spread Sheet File.vi

Joey
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,787 Views)

Joey that will only work if the file is simply a text file of data separated by a delimeter. A file saved in Excel is not. Excel files contain formatting, if you open one up with notepad you will see gibberish.

I'm not really sure how you can read an xls file without ActiveX, but I didn't want you to get wrong information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,783 Views)

Yeah I am glad you corrected me, I got mislead by the window ICON when I try to give it a .xls extension.  Just shows I have so much more to learn, thanks.

-Joey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,775 Views)

Joey's suggestion is the only "legal" method of doing this without ActiveX (as far as I know).

To write the file directly to an XLS format would first require reverse engineering the XLS format which I believe violates the End User License Agreement that comes with MS stuff.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,770 Views)