LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

READ/WRITE MS WORD FILE (NY)

Hi,
I need to copy/read contents of a MS Word template file (text/tables/images)  and write/append it to another MS Word File.
Please provide me with an advise.....

Thanks.

NY
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,386 Views)

@LVLV wrote:
Hi,
I need to copy/read contents of a MS Word template file (text/tables/images)  and write/append it to another MS Word File.
Please provide me with an advise.....

The MS Word document format has never really completely and officially been documented. There have been reverse engineering attempts that are used by projects like Open Office and others but the result is limited in several ways. That said even if the format would be fully documented you would not want to deal with that yourself as it is rather involved.

The only two solutions that are feasable IMHO without you having to spend men years of development effort would be to either consider a different format such as ASCII text only or use the paid Report Generation Toolkit with Word interface that gives you access to the Word document object hierarchy over Active X. There are supposedly some more or less involved VIs floating around that do implement some Word automation interface through Active X too, so that with some extra effort you could maybe get away without paying for the Report Generation Toolkit, but both of these aproaches will require you to have Word installed on the computer you want to do the Word document editing since the LabVIEW VIs simply use Active X to control the installed Word engine.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 04-05-2006 10:15 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 2
(2,352 Views)