cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE:Saving a VI and it's dependent hierarchy from one lib to a different lib

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am a new LabVIEW developer and I am wondering if anyone knows how to correctly copy a VI and it's dependent VIs from 1 lib to a different lib?

Background: I maintain the old lib for 1 project I have worked on and I am starting a new project and would like to use some of the VIs from the old project but do not want to have the new project depend on the old one. The VI I want to use has a pretty long hierarchy and I do not want to have to copy every dependent VI to the new lib individually and break the dependency as this is something I have done before.

thanks,

Johnathan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(865 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jbranch9940

File>>Save as>>Duplicate hierarchy.

Note that this copies all the dependencies, including vi.lib dependencies, so I would suggest saving it in a temporary location, deleting the vi.lib copies, opening in a new project and letting it find the vi.lib dependencies, then saving everything.

This is also a good time to clean and delete any dependencies you won't use before moving it to its final location. It's also useful to use the Files tab in the project window to make sure you don't have linkages to unwanted folders.

A more general answer is that if you have reuse code, it's better to manage it using some kind of system like a package manager or code to generate code from a template, but that probably doesn't apply if this something you're only doing once.