LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Drop Drops Wrong Function

Solved!
Go to solution

So I posted this in a topic on LAVA about LabVIEW doing weird things but I just can't seem to track down or fix this.  So I've noticed a few quick drop items that I drop don't drop the right function but instead always drop a False Constant on the block diagram.  I went and reset my LabVIEW.ini and it started working again so I figured I did something weird.  

But now I am having LabVIEW 2015 SP1 F1 and LabVIEW 2016 both do this on the same functions.  It is a bit odd and hard to explain so I have a video.  In the video I try to drop a few functions in both 2016 and 2015 and they both show the same functions as dropping a false constant instead, and some functions drop as they should.  I also ran a scripting function Place Palette Object On Cursor which I believe is what QuickDrop is calling, and it too is dropping the wrong function.

http://screencast.com/t/umBhWcQ9s

I have done repair installs of LabVIEW, deleted my INI, deleted my object cache, deleted all QuickDrop functions other than the ones shipped, and none of it has worked.  Any ideas?  Things I should try?  I really get the feeling there is something wrong with my machine but I don't really know what else to try.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,683 Views)

Bad news -- I think you have a Dybbuk in your PC.  Have you considered reformatting the Hard Drive?  [I've had to do this once -- I actually replaced the hard drive, which made restoring the data files easier, and reminded me what programs and such I needed.  It was not pretty, but the results were ultimately worth it].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,638 Views)

Today I learned what a Dybbuk is.

So I wouldn't rule it out but I think I'm narrowing my search.  My LabVIEW 2015 has been doing some really weird things.  That's why last night I uninstalled every thing 2015 related, restarted several times, manually cleaned up files, and reinstalled LabVIEW 2015 SP1, then upgraded to the SP1 F1 patch.  What was the result?  Well my 2016 still dropped the wrong items, but my 2015 dropped the correct items.  So then I installed our reuse library in 2015 (which was already installed in 2016) and it now drops the wrong item again.

I checked other machines with our reuse library installed, and the ones that are running the newest version drop the wrong item, and the ones that are running older code drop the correct item.

I'm going to continue my investigation, but how in the world does installing some VIPM packages cause LabVIEW to not drop the correct item from QuickDrop?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,583 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

BAHHH...

Okay so I figured it out, and I think it is a bug.

What is going on here is I have a control on my palette called "Add" which is a custom boolean control with an Add symbol on it.  If you put this on your palette then the QuickDrop "Add" on the front panel will drop the control (as it should).  But if you invoke the quick drop "Add" while on the block diagram it will drop the Add control (which is a boolean false constant on the BD) instead of dropping the Add node.

Here is how you reproduce it.  Attached is a control.  Add it to your controls palette by going to Tools >> Advanced >> Edit Palette Set... and adding it somewhere.  Restart LabVIEW and now on the front panel you can use the QuickDrop "Add" to drop the control on the front panel, but the same text of "Add" will drop the control on the block diagram instead of the add node.  Remove the control from the palette to have the normal functionality on your BD.

How can this be fixed?  Well honestly I'm not sure this is something NI can fix.  When invoking the QuickDrop function it can know if it is being invoked from the BD of FP, but the Place Objects On Cursor function doesn't know the difference and is just being asked to drop an item on the cursor without knowing if it is a control or a node.  For now I may just change all my control names to be something like "Add Control" to help distinguish it from the add node.  But I think NI should be aware of this and consider improving this method in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,577 Views)