From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about time to execute FFT on FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an FPGA at 40MHz and I'm performing an FFT in a single-cycle timed loop with an FFT size of 8192 and it is set to Single Channel, Single Sample. Does this mean one point is outputted every clock cycle? So since every clock cycle is 25ns, one FFT takes 25ns*8192 = 205us?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,271 Views)

When you configure the FFT Express VI it has a setting for throughput, you want to select 1 sample per cycle to run at the clock rate.  Default is not 1 sample per cycle (I think it is slower).

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,256 Views)

Yes, I have it set to 1 cycle/input for Throughput. So that means one data point is processed and outputted every clock cycle?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,219 Views)

Yes, it should take 8192 cycles.

After configuring it, hover over the function.  It should also give you latency figures as well; cycles where you have no outputs.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,214 Views)

I see, and it says the latency is 20534 cycles. Does that mean it goes 20534 cycles without producing an output?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,208 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Trekkie123

@Trekkie123 wrote:

I see, and it says the latency is 20534 cycles. Does that mean it goes 20534 cycles without producing an output?

Yes - latency in this case is the number of cycles you have to wait in order to get valid data. But since you have 1 cycle/sample, you should get 20534 cycles of not-valid data, then cycles #20534, 20535, 20536... are all valid data.

Attached is a project that uses the Desktop Execution Node to demonstrate this (LabVIEW 2019, with a cRIO-9045 in the project, no hardware required).

Below are a couple of images with 0 inputs. I modified the project after to use a sine + random value to get a marginally more interesting output...

During Initialization, 'output valid' is false.During Initialization, 'output valid' is false.Later, it becomes true, and 'data index' gives the location within the current block.Later, it becomes true, and 'data index' gives the location within the current block.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,200 Views)