LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about storing references

@Mark Yedinak wrote:

Therefore we chose this method to allow the low level modules to fire off messages. It will do so whether anyone is listening or not. In fact, the lower level code doesn't care. THis approach is very flexible and it really decouples the functionality from the UI. Yes, there is some overhead associated but it does provide a very versatile and flexible architecture.[..............

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy  Yup- my thoughts exactly! versitale, component based, High reuseability, Nice decoupling, .... Looking forward to the nugget and link to the slides (I missed NI Week againSmiley Sad)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(413 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

BA-

[...] _ but have you considered the simple expediant of using a subpanel to a vi that has 1 string control visible ? Wire the rest as an AE BUT use the terminals rather than a SR.  Place the sub.vi's FP in a subpanel on the GUI and BAM! a "nearly 0 overhead" method to write/read a GUI object since all the overhead is in the call to open the FP in a subpanel. 

Very good idea for this type of isolated indicator! No, I haven't thought of it. It works great. Gives me the willies because its simplicity seems so akin to writing to multiple locals, but it isn't.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(401 Views)

@broken Arrow wrote:

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

BA-

[...] _ but have you considered the simple expediant of using a subpanel to a vi that has 1 string control visible ? Wire the rest as an AE BUT use the terminals rather than a SR.  Place the sub.vi's FP in a subpanel on the GUI and BAM! a "nearly 0 overhead" method to write/read a GUI object since all the overhead is in the call to open the FP in a subpanel. 

Very good idea for this type of isolated indicator! No, I haven't thought of it. It works great. Gives me the willies because its simplicity seems so akin to writing to multiple locals, but it isn't.

And--- (BONUS) since the subpanel is in scope of the GUI FP you ARE registered for events! (well, most of them I seam to remember there are a couple that are not avalable for subpanels like panel cose?)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(399 Views)

Jeff....... Micro-Nugget?

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(397 Views)