From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about DAQ Assistant.. S-S curve, hardening, and sampling rate

Hello, I am a student trying to collect tensile test data by using Labview.

I am using:

NI cDAQ-9178 shassis,

NI 9215 module for voltage collection from load cell,

NI 9237 module for strain collection from three strain gages.

So I just performed several simple tensile tests on carbon composites with 2mm/min rate of pulling.

I am using the DAQ assistant, which is built in the Labview and easy to use.(I know only the newbies use DAQ assistant, but I am a newbie and if it works well, why not use it)

I have several questions concerning the results.

1. When I use the strain gages, it seems like I cannot control the sampling rate.

If I collect the voltage from the load cell only, I can put 'samples to read' and 'rate(Hz)' to whatever I want and get the right sampling rate. For example, if I put both of them as 100, I get 100 sampling data every one second. If i put 10, I get 10 sampling data every one second.

However, When I attach the strain gage to the board, The sampling rate is fixed to every 0.00062 second, which about 1613 Hz sampling rate.

Is this normal? If not, how do I fix this?

2. The Stress-Strain curve of a carbon composite should be straight, or the slop should decrease a little bit in the end.

However, it seems like the slope increases as specimen is taking more and more stress. This means that the specimen is showing hardening, which should not happen in carbon composites.

There may be other factors to this results, and I am considering the Labview DAQ assistant as one of them.

So I am wondering if DAQ assistant becomes inaccurate after certain amount of stresses for strain gage data.

I attached some jpg files and vi file to this message.

If anyone can help me with above two questions, it will be great.

Thank you.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,837 Views)

Hi James,

However, When I attach the strain gage to the board, The sampling rate is fixed to every 0.00062 second, which about 1613 Hz sampling rate. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal! Just read the manual of your NI9237 module…

If not, how do I fix this?

You could decimate the data to your desired sample rate…

(You're not the first to stumble upon that behaviour of a NI9237 module, so I suggest to search this forum for related threads.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,816 Views)