LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting USB 8452 into Standby mode

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I put the USB 8452 into standby mode where all pins are disabled.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,644 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frankmesa

@Frankmesa wrote:

How do I put the USB 8452 into standby mode where all pins are disabled.

I do not think this device has such mode. But I even do not understand why you need such option? You have a LabVIEW application. You can use a state machine in it, yes? Your state machine can have "Idle", "HW Init", "Operate", "HW Close resources" (etc) states. When you do not want to use the hardware, just stay in the Idle state, no operation is done, no HW resources are open at LabVIEW software side.

If you want your HW not present at Windows at all, then unplug its USB cable, or you can programmatically emulate usb removing (devcon utility, more info here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1D120A90884C25AF862573A700602459 ).

Message 2 of 11
(4,594 Views)

Unknowingly I wired my part Power to Vref and the +5v line. Now they wish to programmically power cycle the part on and off.  When you first connect the box to the computer nothing is outputting. Once the program is run the part power outputs come on. I just need it to return the that state. If not then I have to modify all my boards to use one of the I/O pins to power the part.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,578 Views)
Sorry, i do not understand your description. If you damaged your hardware, contact NI for service or replace...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,574 Views)

Sorry, I'm using the USB-8452 to communicate to one of our parts using SPI. However, I used the USB-8452 to power up my part using Vref & 5v. Once Labview starts to communicate to part the USB-8542 pin ouputs all function which was ok, but they want me to turn our part on and off programmically in Labview. To do that I need the 5v & Vref output pins to disconnect programmically.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,568 Views)

Isn't that the point of a relay?  If you try to use a car as a boat, it may work in some situations but it's not really designed for the task.  It'd be strange if the 5V reference would be modified to something else.  Are you able to drive the Vref line high to result in 0V measured across the two values to power things down?  Or, why are we trying to avoid using a relay in the system to handle the task as designed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,564 Views)

If I would have known that you couldnt power the outputs down I would have.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,561 Views)

I read this and thought that I could put into USB standby mode.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,558 Views)

USB spec.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,557 Views)

Has this question been resolved?  We are looking to do the same thing - without rewiring our setup.  Just need to know how to put the 8452 into suspend mode - the manual indicates this is possible...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,871 Views)