From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse output flow meter convert to gallon per minutes

Solved!
Go to solution

I have 4 pulse output flow meters (https://www.omega.com/pptst/FTB4600.html)

all the flow meters connected to NI 9361 to get my frequency readings using the daq assistant. I will need convert my frequency readings to gallon per minutes. The only conversation factor I have from my flow meters is 75.7 pulses/gallon. i considers my conversion to be    (frequency * (1 gal /75.7)*(60s/1 minute)) so, that is (frequency *0.79) will equal my flow rate in gallons per minutes. i'm not sure if this is the correct way to convert.

Any ideas on how I can use that?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,146 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author leq12

Hi leq,

you read a frequency, so you know a value X with unit "pulses/s".

Your datasheet gives a convsion factor Y in "pulses/gallon".

Let's do some simple math: X / Y gives Z in "gallon/s". Multiply by "60s/min" gives "gallon/min"…

So the formula will by "60 * X / Y"…

i'm not sure if this is the correct way to convert.

You did the same formula. Why are you unsure about it? Afterall it's just plain math…

Any ideas on how I can use that?

I recommend a CompoundMath node, set to "multiply" mode with one inverted input…

Btw. I always "love" that wild mixture of SI units with a bunch of imperial units… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,132 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Btw. I always "love" that wild mixture of SI units with a bunch of imperial units… 😄

Oh yes. Things like this get even more fun when you have to guess is this US Gallons (~3.8L) or UK Gallons (~4.6L)?

0xDEAD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,120 Views)

Hi deceased,

or when you stand in front of a machine with several pressure displays - mixed in inHg, psig, Torr…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(6,114 Views)

Hello,

Extreme amateur here trying to learn. 

I have a Seametrics FT430W with the a K Factor (which is # of pulses/gal) of 51.6. Currently in order for our system to read the number of gallons properly, we have the P set to to 10 gal/pulse.

In your equation that would assist me on finding gal/min, how would I find "X". Anything helps, I have tried to properly come up with the right equation.

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,335 Views)