LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse output flow meter convert to gallon per minutes

Solved!
Go to solution

I have 4 pulse output flow meters (https://www.omega.com/pptst/FTB4600.html)

all the flow meters connected to NI 9361 to get my frequency readings using the daq assistant. I will need convert my frequency readings to gallon per minutes. The only conversation factor I have from my flow meters is 75.7 pulses/gallon. i considers my conversion to be    (frequency * (1 gal /75.7)*(60s/1 minute)) so, that is (frequency *0.79) will equal my flow rate in gallons per minutes. i'm not sure if this is the correct way to convert.

Any ideas on how I can use that?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,136 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author leq12

Hi leq,

you read a frequency, so you know a value X with unit "pulses/s".

Your datasheet gives a convsion factor Y in "pulses/gallon".

Let's do some simple math: X / Y gives Z in "gallon/s". Multiply by "60s/min" gives "gallon/min"…

So the formula will by "60 * X / Y"…

i'm not sure if this is the correct way to convert.

You did the same formula. Why are you unsure about it? Afterall it's just plain math…

Any ideas on how I can use that?

I recommend a CompoundMath node, set to "multiply" mode with one inverted input…

Btw. I always "love" that wild mixture of SI units with a bunch of imperial units… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,122 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Btw. I always "love" that wild mixture of SI units with a bunch of imperial units… 😄

Oh yes. Things like this get even more fun when you have to guess is this US Gallons (~3.8L) or UK Gallons (~4.6L)?

0xDEAD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,110 Views)

Hi deceased,

or when you stand in front of a machine with several pressure displays - mixed in inHg, psig, Torr…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(6,104 Views)

Hello,

Extreme amateur here trying to learn. 

I have a Seametrics FT430W with the a K Factor (which is # of pulses/gal) of 51.6. Currently in order for our system to read the number of gallons properly, we have the P set to to 10 gal/pulse.

In your equation that would assist me on finding gal/min, how would I find "X". Anything helps, I have tried to properly come up with the right equation.

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,325 Views)