From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public WebServer with Web Publishing Tool

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'd like to know if it is possible to configure the Web Server in Web Publishing Tool as a public server in a myRIO-1900 with login control.

I want to be able to access myRIO's remote control panel (as in the webpage) from an external network, let's say I have myRIO at home connected wirelessly to the home's network and I want to be able to connect and control it from my workplace after logging in.

Until now, I've only been able to connect it to a private network and work on it locally ...

Thanks in advance,

Saul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(806 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author volkun

If you could do this, you would be blowing a big hole through the security arrangement that protects your Home Network from allowing anyone (your next-door neighbor, a troll driving by searching for networks to break into, hackers of all sorts) to access your Home Network and do all sorts of nefarious things.  Note that, in general, the way one connects two computers over the Web (as in Remote Help) is that there is two-way communication, with both sender and receiver sending messages (usually involving other media, such as a phone call) at the time of connection to verify the validity of the sender and receiver.  So I'm pretty sure the answer is (or should be) "You can't do that!".

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 3
(769 Views)

Hi Bob,

Although the application won't be for domestic use I was kinda expecting for an answer like this, it was obvious it would be a hard blow to network security, this way I can show that I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bad idea xD.

I was simply waiting for someone to give me written confirmation of this or for a workaround to appear, so I will validate the answer as a solution, thanks for confirming.

Saul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(766 Views)