From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatic update of control's description to Context Help window

Hey All,

Here's an odd one - I'm programmatically updating the description of a control. I'm using the description of another VI - simply copying the test out of the VIs description into the control's description. The text makes it in there okay, but the text in the description of the control isn't wrapped in the Context Help window like it is in the VI's description.

Hovering the mouse over the VI (the description source):
Attached Image

Hovering the mouse over the control (the description sink):
Attached Image

Is there any way to force the text to be wrapped in the Context Help window (I should mention that I'm using Windows user32.dll functions to lock the Context Help window to particular dimensions)? If I can't do that, then I'd be happy to manually insert CR+LF into my string (it's dirty, but it'll work) - does anyone know the tag to do that (it's not <p> - the Context Help window uses a very limited set of HTML tags)?

Note: you can get more info (including the VIs that demonstrate the issue) here: http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?showtopic=3088

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Message 1 of 4
(2,662 Views)
Thanks to Darren on LAVA: "put two '\r\n' characters before and after a given sentence/paragraph, that will cause the paragraph to word wrap"

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Message 2 of 4
(2,644 Views)

For future searching purposes, here is the full text of my response on LAVA, along with the attached VI:

"I believe if you put two '\r\n' characters before and after a given sentence/paragraph, that will cause the paragraph to word wrap. You can try it in your VI by going to Description and Tip and pressing Enter twice before your paragraph, and after your paragraph. I have attached a VI that contains your Numeric control with the context help wrapping appropriately after making this change. If you are changing the description programatically, just convert single \r\n characters into \r\n\r\n. I noticed in your control's context help you just have \n characters, so if you're updating the context help programmatically, you would probably want to write some code that searches for \n before and after text and replaces it with \r\n\r\n."

-D

Message 3 of 4
(2,632 Views)

That stuff should be a sticky. It is worth its number of characters in gold...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,103 Views)