From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profibus and OPC questions

Hi,
I need to communicate from Labview to a Siemens S7 PLC via Profibus and I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have any recommendation on using the Siemens Prifibus PCI card/OPC server or Applicom PCI card/OPC server or other make?

2. What is the best way to communicate from Labview? To an OPC server by datasocket(I seem to see a lot of comments about Labview not being a very good OPC Client when using datasocket!), or to an OPC server by ActiveX automation, or by ActiveX controls?

Any help is appreciated!!

Sal
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,581 Views)
______

Hi,

1. I have had customers using Applicom cards and OPC Servers without much problem.. overall, they're pretty good.

2. For OPC in LabVIEW, LabVIEW Datalogging & Supervisory Control (LVDSC) module is the way to go! LVDSC is an add-on module which you can install on top of your LabVIEW. It provides native (non-datasocket) OPC support. In addition, it also provides features typically required by a datlogging and supervisory control application, like historical logging and trending, alarming, security, etc. Check it out:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=10418〈=US

Hope this helps.
Rgds,

Khalid 🙂

______
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,581 Views)