From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems in using Ivi driver ke230y in "IviDCPwr Measure [MSR].vi"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I have a problem in using IVI driver (ke230y) to control keithley2303 powersupply with LABVIEW 2013.

After I initialize and config ke2303 well and run to  "IviDCPwr Measure [MSR].vi", it ocurrs errors. While lasting about 15 seconds and then reports errors as attached:

The code (attached) when I test with other powersupplies such as agilent66309d and keithley2306(with ivi driver ke230x), it runs well.

So I've no idear about this problem with keithley2303 powersupply, can you guys ever meet this problem and may reply for me to fix it.

thank you for your reading and help!

best wishes,

Phil

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,740 Views)
Pls if anyone who can help me to solve this problem. The error says that: "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,712 Views)

The error is because the serial read is timing out waiting for a response from the device.

That could be caused by a number of things: the command isn't being sent to the device or the wrong command is being sent and it doesn't . It's probably a bug in the IVI driver. I would start by verifying what command is being sent in the VI (or use a serial loop back etc.) and then see if you can send it manually using a VISA test panel and look at what response you get.

That will help you determine if the fault is with the driver or the device.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,704 Views)

I totally agree with you may the IVI bug is. Because when i use VISA command in labview2013 to control the keithely2303, the code and instrument runs well.

But this time when i use IVI driver, both code and instrument report errors.On the instrument side, there are two errors:

1. -113, Undefined header

2. -420 Query UNTERMINATED

I very appreciate your reply and advices,

and still want know what exactly i can do or offer you something to solve the problem.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,695 Views)

Yes, it sounds like the command the VI is sending to the device isn't formatted correctly. Can you open the VI?

Personally, I would File -> Save As... to create a copy of the VI and then edit/modify it to make it work (i.e. put in the right command) and then use your fixed version. You could then decide if you wanted to replace the one in the IVI driver (but remember that if you have to reinstall the driver that you'll need to fix it again).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,679 Views)

I try to open the "IviDCPwr Measure [MSR].vi", after i open it, i see a "Call library function note" that load function name"IviDCPwr_Measure" from "ividcpwr**.*" file. when run the code with Keithley 2303 instrument, there is a error status(-1073807339) flow out of the "Call library function note". Maybe the bug is in the "ividcpwr**.*" file (or the "ividcpwr.dll" file) , and i don't know how to do with the file. If you have had any correct "ividcpwr**.*" file or had modified the very file, could please send one for me to test run. thanks!

Best wishes,

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,651 Views)
If there is a bug, it is in the IVI specific driver you downloaded and not in the class driver that you are calling. You would, of course, need LabWindows/CVI in order to modify the specific driver. To start debugging, user I/O Trace to get s list of the commands being sent and then compare those commands to what is listed in the manual. Note that the 2303 was not tested.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,635 Views)

I don't have the any driver's source code (such as ividcpwr.dll source code), how can I modify the specific driver through labwindows.

Follow your advice I use I/O trace to get trace as follows:

1 IviDCPwr_InitWithOptions ("ke2303", VI_FALSE, VI_TRUE, "", 0x0C913064) VI_SUCCESS 14:45:10.675
2 IviDCPwr_ConfigureVoltageLevel (ke2303, "CHANNEL1", 3.8) VI_SUCCESS 14:45:11.405
3 IviDCPwr_ConfigureCurrentLimit (ke2303, "CHANNEL1", 0, 3) VI_SUCCESS 14:45:12.104
4 IviDCPwr_ConfigureOutputEnabled (ke2303, "CHANNEL1", VI_TRUE) VI_SUCCESS 14:45:12.824
5 IviDCPwr_Measure (ke2303, "CHANNEL1", 1, 0) VI_ERROR_TMO 14:45:16.207
6 IviDCPwr_GetError (ke2303, -1073807339, 0, "") 0x00000037 14:45:32.991
7 IviDCPwr_GetError (ke2303, -1073807339, 55, "Primary Error: ..................") VI_SUCCESS 14:45:32.991
8 IviDCPwr_close (ke2303) VI_SUCCESS 14:45:33.847

I cannot see any GPIB command in the trace but some IviDCPwr functions.

Besides, if I know any bug (eg. some wrong GPIB command) in ividcpwr.dll, how can I modify it before I get it's source code.

Pls teach me anytime in your conveneince.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,619 Views)
First, stop carrying about ividcpwr.dll. As I already said, that is the CLASS driver. The code that is actually run is the ke230x dll. The c code should be in your ivi foundation folder. If not, download the cvi driver to get the project.

It's been a while since I've used an IVI driver and I don't know why the I/O Trace is not showing the lower level SCPI commands.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,611 Views)

Thank you, and I'll follow your instructions and feedback you later.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,593 Views)