LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Profiling re-entrant VIs

I'm trying to run profiler on an application specifically designed to test a rather large re-entrant VI on an RT system. I am calling this VI in a for loop running 10,000 times. However, I don't seem able to do this so long as the VI is set to re-entrant execution, even though the application otherwise works as designed. I also can't use highlight execution (the button isn't even there). The profiler seems to log timing details at first, but then simply stops after a second or two... while the application proceeds. If I try to profile on a windows machine, it runs fine.

I can't really post the VI because it's proprietary. It is set to allow debugging. Is there anything else I should look for?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,080 Views)

Hi kgolden,

I'm not sure about the differences between LVRT and LV as far as reentrant VIs are concerned. Are the rest of the debugging tools (probe and breakpoint) available to you?

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,058 Views)

They are for non-reentrant VIs. When I try to run this projhect on the RT system (in interpreted as opposed to a build), it locks up as soon as I call a re-entrant VI and ceases operation. When the application is built, everything runs fine.

The goal here is to track down bottlenecks where they exist and without profiler and the ability to run interpreted on the RT target, I can't use the profiling tool.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,043 Views)

Hi kgolden,

After doing some research, I found that it is normal for the re-entrant vi to not allow debugging. To get debugging tools, you have to change it's behavior to non-reentrant. So when the vi is built as an executable, it behaves as expected, but when it is run from within labview it hangs?

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,026 Views)