LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with instrument drivers

Hi,

I'm having a problem with installing a driver, which was downloaded directly from manufacturers website. As suggested,  once the file was downloaded I extracted the folder toProgram Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\instr.lib\ .After closing and restarting LabVIEW I should  be able to use the VI's from LabVIEW function palette from the following location: Instrument I/O » Instrument Drivers. It looks like the driver is not completely installed though and I can't use it. I am really sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, I'm just a beginner. Attached it the VI and drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

SMC100-USB-Drivers.zip ‏379 KB
Virus detected! File Removed.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,834 Views)

Hi,

After a quick look, it doesn't seem as if these are LabVIEW drivers, but rather OS drivers.

LabVIEW drivers that are copied to instr.lib should have an .mnu file (not always though) and subfolders (if necessary) and would be in the form of VI's (or lvproj).

Edit -

What you need is to install that driver using the setup.exe and then verify that the OS can see the USB device connected. Once you are sure of that, you will be able to use NI VISA to communicate with the device.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,827 Views)

Hi,

I've got one more folder, which seem correct, but I still can't use it, even though it can now be found in the Instrument I/O Palette. I'm clearly not doing something properly, but I have no idea what. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,801 Views)

Hi,

Yes, those are the files that you'd put into user.lib or instr.lib.

I copied them over as normal and seem to be getting some odd results, as the menu is available in the functions menu, but the VI's are not available in the drill down.

I even downloaded from the newport site to see if there was something wrong with your version of files, but I got the same result.

I suppose you could generate new mnu files and associate them correctly, as to get the VI's available in the menus.

If it were me, I'd just use the VI's as is (you have access to them and there is nothing stopping them from working), by adding them to my project and using them from there. I don't know that there will be any problem in doing that.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,786 Views)

Hi,

will try your way. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,782 Views)