LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with DSC and alarm and logging

I have made a project using shared variables with alarm and logging properites. I understand that these are saved in a citadel database, but I do not manage to get them back in an alarmlist so that the user can se them and ack them. Is it possible for the user to change the alarm limits belonging to the shared variables? I also want to create reports, one every day, as trend graphs for some shared variables. How can I do this?

I am using Labview 8.0 and DSC module. I also have DIADEM.

I hope somebody can help me!

-Mari
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,584 Views)
I don't have DSC installed at the moment but wonder if there are any shipping examples that show the alarms displayed and allow them to be acknowledged? Goto Help>>Find Examples and search for DSC.

Hope this helps!

Stuart
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,561 Views)

Hello Stuart

I have tried to find examples at lvdsc>> alarms and at  toolkits and modules >> Datalogging and Supervisory Control...but have not managed to find anyone that displays alarms in a list and let the user ack them...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,556 Views)

@Mari wrote:
I have made a project using shared variables with alarm and logging properites. I understand that these are saved in a citadel database, but I do not manage to get them back in an alarmlist so that the user can se them and ack them. Is it possible for the user to change the alarm limits belonging to the shared variables? I also want to create reports, one every day, as trend graphs for some shared variables. How can I do this?

I am using Labview 8.0 and DSC module. I also have DIADEM.

I hope somebody can help me!

-Mari

I recommend using the "Alarm & Event Display.vi" from the alarm controls sub-palette of the DSC palette on your front panel.  This control both displays alarms and can be used to acknowledge them.

You can change the alarm limits belong to shared variables.  Wire a shared variable control (or constant - it is a purple wire) into a property node.  This will let you change the alarm levels.

I know Diadem can be used to read from Citadel and make reports but I do not know how to do it...sorry.

Regards,
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,533 Views)
Hello Robert!

I started to use the "alarm and event display" im my program yesterday, and this is working really well. But I have some problems... First of all I am o norwegian, and want to change the text in the display to bee in Norwegian...but I can't manage.... second I discovered that all alarms at my local host will be displayed in the display until you right click and select "select process". I managed yesterday to change this in the block diagram(in the case structur at "false") by changing the text in the string wired to the "Concatenate strings" to be my spesific libary. But then I changed the name at my library to make the text in the display at the front panel be a bit more describing. And now it is impossible to wire new strings to the "soncatenate strings" and to change the string text....do you know why this happens? Is it because I changed the name at my library...is this making any trouble?

I also wonder if there are any VIs or ways og showing a summary of all the alarms that has been in my system...not just at real-time...but from start up... I know thath this is beeing saved in the citadel database...but I am not very good at database handeling(questions).

I will try out your other suggestions for the rest of my questions now Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help!

-Mari
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,530 Views)
----concerning my second problem (problems with wiring and typing text)...I have no fixed it ....stupid mistake because I have started to use the tools palett....Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,526 Views)

@Mari wrote:
Hello Robert!

I started to use the "alarm and event display" im my program yesterday, and this is working really well. But I have some problems... First of all I am o norwegian, and want to change the text in the display to bee in Norwegian...but I can't manage.... second I discovered that all alarms at my local host will be displayed in the display until you right click and select "select process". I managed yesterday to change this in the block diagram(in the case structur at "false") by changing the text in the string wired to the "Concatenate strings" to be my spesific libary. But then I changed the name at my library to make the text in the display at the front panel be a bit more describing. And now it is impossible to wire new strings to the "soncatenate strings" and to change the string text....do you know why this happens? Is it because I changed the name at my library...is this making any trouble?

I also wonder if there are any VIs or ways og showing a summary of all the alarms that has been in my system...not just at real-time...but from start up... I know thath this is beeing saved in the citadel database...but I am not very good at database handeling(questions).

I will try out your other suggestions for the rest of my questions now Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help!

-Mari

On your diagram, go to the "Historical" sub-palette of the DSC palette.  The VI you want is the bottom left, Alarm & Event Query.vi, whose icon is a cylinder and arrow pointing at an alarm bell.  This VI takes a filter and sends the query to Citadel.  It will return information based on the parameters of the filter.  I suggest playing with this a little with the filter as a control until you are comfortable with it.
Regards,
Robert
Message 7 of 8
(9,519 Views)
"Alarm& Event Display.vi" is easy to use but it doesn't allow user customization (like changing text that Mari would like to do)

Try using "Read Alarms.vi" on the block diagram and unbundle the information you want to display. This will allow you access to all live alarms and give you the ability to filter/display the results as you see fit. I've found that whether the alarm is a user generated or shared variable generated alarm and which state it is in dictates if the alarm is visible. (please ask if you'd like more explaination on this)

Robert also made a good suggestion about viewing the history of alarms using "Alarm & Event Query.vi". This will allow you to do the same as mentioned above except will give you a history of all alarms that have occured in your system.

Happy coding,
Craig

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,414 Views)