From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem saving a project written in 8.6 to 8.5

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a fairly large project that I've developed in Labview 8.6. Our R&D department would like to review the code using their version of Labview which is 8.5. When I try saving, using "Save for previous version" I get the following error:

LABVIEW: Generic file I/O error

Save for previous failed for some unspecified reason. Memory could be full or the disk access may not be allowed.

Any help interpreting this error and resolving my probem?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,230 Views)

Please try to collect all the relevant questions in a single thread. Even that thread is solved, you can unmark that solution and post there. That will help avoiding lot of confusions.

Have you tried searching the forum for that error message? This thread particularly had a lot of solutions.

Post back.

Mathan

Message Edited by Mathan on 09-17-2009 10:31 PM
Message 2 of 6
(9,212 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chuck72352

Mathan your link talks abt generic error and not exactly abt saving for previous version.

Please check this discussion and see if it will help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,198 Views)

I resolved the problem by moving all my code to the C: drive and then using the "Save for Previous" command. Previously my source was on a network drive. I'm not sure why that resolved the problem. Any  ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 6
(9,180 Views)

Hello chuck72352,

The error that you were experiencing is due to the nature of LabVIEW and how LabVIEW handles errors when reading from a network drive. To prevent future similar error, you could take the following steps

1. copy the entire folder hierachy to local drive

2. open the local-copy of the top-level VI

3. when saving for previous version, make sure that the VIs will also be saved to local drive

Hope this helps~!

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,168 Views)

I too saw this problem, only my source files were in a directory hierarchy on my C:\ drive and I was trying to save them to a folder on my desktop.

I fixed it by specifying a save folder of "AAAA" on the root of my C:\ drive.

I suspect that the full path name of some source file plus the path down into the desktop folder (and all the duplicated sub folders that had been used with the source file) yielded a string that exceeded the maximum allow path length for a Windows file.  Moving the source files up in their structure or shortening the destination path seems to be what's needed. If nothing else you can save all the source files to a simply-named LLB at the C:\ level and then use those files to save to a previous version.

Message 6 of 6
(8,689 Views)