From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem retrieving data from measuring equipment through RS232

Hello,

I am new to Lab-view and I am having a problem receiving data from measuring equipment. What I did is:

1. Connect the measuring equipment through its RS232 to the PC by using a USB to RS232 converter and I see that the converter is working fine and called COM6
  2. Downloaded the measuring equipment driver from “Find Instrument Drivers” in Lab-View
  3. Inserted an instrument driver called “initialization.vi” in a new block diagram and configured it to COM6

What I see is:

1. I can send reset commands and everything looks OK (even though I don’t see anything happen in the measuring equipment)
  2. When trying to get an ID query, I get “error out” with code 1073807339
  3. In the MAX window when standing on the COM6 port I get a device status saying: “VISA returned this device when finding resources, and MAX could use VISA to parse the resource name.  MAX could not succesfully open a VISA session to the device”

Can you please help me here?

Thank you

Benny

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,237 Views)

When you did a search for the timeout error, what troubleshooting did you do  in regards to all of the numerous threads with answers you found?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,231 Views)

Hello Dennis,

I did look at many threads that talk about  “error out” with code 1073807339. however, most of the threads talk about 

sophisticated programs/modules but since I am new to Lab-View I didn’t understand the answers that mainly talk about the program or the modules.

I just want to add to the question that after restarting Lab-View and tried to open a VISA session I got a pop window as in the attached snapshot.

Thanks

Benny

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,221 Views)

This has also been discussed hundreds of times. Simply close your LabVIEW program if you want to use a different program to access your serial port.

Most of the timeout threads talk about checking your com settings (baud rate, etc.) and whether you have the correct type of serial cable (there are two types), whether you are sending the correct command, or whether you are sending the correct termination character. You have not provided even basic information such as the make and model of the instrument but since you are using a driver, my guess is the problem is the settings or cable.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,213 Views)