From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem building exe with Soft Motion and cRIO

Has anyone else successfully built an appliacation with Soft Motion?

I'm using LabVIEW 8.2 RT/FPGA with a cRIO 9002, and whenever I build my application, it crashes right at the end with a Fatal Internal Error: "LinkObj.cpp", line 683 message. Note - no hits on that internal error under support or forums.

This is a simple routine that runs just fine as a development VI but cannot seem to make it over the hump for the exe.  I tried deploying the exe (it actually does build it, but it crashes before saying done), but it does not appear to run.

I suspect that Soft Motion uses some dynamic VI that is not being loaded properly.  I've tried the different combinations of Typdef settings (advanced tab) thinking it's the typedef within a class issue (from the application builder readme), but that has not worked. 

Thanks in advance,
Chris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,521 Views)
An update: I did find a reference to the Softmotion related crash http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D7A538EF7887396E86257243005ACCBB However, it hasn't helped me fix the VIs in the exe. I've looked further into the VIs loaded on the RT and all the SoftMotion VIs are broken when the exe is used.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,515 Views)

Chris,

While this does appear to be an issue with SoftMotion VIs, the best course of action for you at this point would be to create a Service Request with the LabVIEW team on this issue. 

In LabVIEW, if you go to Help » Investigate Internal Error, a list of the most recent crashes will appear.  After selecting the crash you are referring to, you will be taken to a website where you will be asked to further specify the error received, and the context within which you received it.  Please be as thorough as possible with your description.  A service request will be automatically opened up for you regarding the issue.

To continue troubleshooting on the SoftMotion side, you may want to remove all SoftMotion VIs from your project, and try building the executable targetted for your device and see if the error persists.

Regards,

Jasper S

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,479 Views)

Chris,

We are aware of the problem you are having with Softmotion and building executables.  The .cpp error occurs in LabVIEW 8.2 and later.  The issue will be fixed in a future version of Softmotion.  Until then, there is a workaround for the problem.  You will first need to modify the VIs in your project by building the VIs into a distribuition.  Then you will need to replace all of the VIs in your project with the new VIs created by the distribution builder.  Please follow the instructions below.

How to modify the original VIs in your project:

1. Create a distribution for your LabVIEW project (right click "build specifications" in the LabVIEW project and solect "Source Distribution").
2. Make sure to select "Remove as Much as Possible" from the "Additional Exclusions" category of the distribution settings.
3. Build the distribution.
4. The VIs created by the distribution builder will have all of the external nodes removed.

How to build executable with new "external-node-free" VIs:

1. Open the original LabVIEW project.
2. Replace all of the VIs in the project with the new VIs created from the distribution builder.
3. Build the executable.

This will keep the .cpp error from occurring.  Let me know if this does not solve your problem.

Lorne Hengst
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,316 Views)
Good timing on the feedback.  Later this week/early next week, I'll be reviving this part of the project, and I was planning on contacting NI on this issue.

To clarify, every single VI must be replaced or just the soft motion VIs?

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,312 Views)

Chris,

To play it safe, you could replace every single VI.  Although, I think that just replacing the softmotion VIs will solve the problem.  There is no harm in trying just your softmotion VIs and testing to see if it works.

NOTE:  Please backup your old VIs, don't just delete them.  You will want them back when you need to edit the VIs.

Lorne Hengst
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,298 Views)