LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probe tool not working/corrupted VI?

OK, may be missing something here but...

I have a very simple subVI that i call on several occasions and is used in several projects. The subVI is a couple of years old, and has worked well.

Now the SubVI appears not to run. But it does not show any errors.

If i open the block diagram i cannot use the 'probe' or 'stop point' tools, if i click, they will not put a probe on a wire etc.

If i cut and paste the BD to a new, blank VI i can use the tools on the new VI.

I am about to assume this means the original VI is corrupted...?

XP, full SPs Updates etc

LV 10.1 -current

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,264 Views)

I think your VI has "Allow debugging" set to false. You'll find this option in the VI properties > Execution.

Message 2 of 7
(3,257 Views)

Or it is re-entrant and LV does not which instance you are looking at.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 7
(3,251 Views)

Thanks for the sugestions.

dan_u,

Yes indeed... i should have spotted it. This solved the probe problem. 

Ben,

The subVI is re-entrant i tried the instance on the caller VI BD, and the 'master' via the Project Explorer window.

I could not get to the bottom of why the subVI did not run correctly. A restart solved the problem, which i guess i should have tried earlier.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,241 Views)

I have seen a bug in LV RT :: when probing arrays in a VI running under RT, the probes where empty (if arrays) or bogus.

I reported it to NI and they said the work-around was to reboot the RT machine.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,237 Views)

Somehow I disabled the debugger function. I was having a hard time. Your message was the answer. Thanks for posting the answer.

Philip

Message 6 of 7
(3,174 Views)

Enable the Allow Debugging check box in VI Properties,for the probe tool to work

untitled.JPG

AB
Kudos are Accepted
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,011 Views)