LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private subvi's on the Palette

Hi all,

I've run into an upgrade issue on LabVIEW 2009 and am debating how to solve it.  NI rewrote the configuration handler palette (.ini vi's).  Good stuff, but they threw it into a library and marked all subvis as private.  This seems like a good practice, but now I'm locked out from expanding this palette (by design)!

I have some bug fixes and additional methods that I expanded the functionality with.  Of course I do not modify the vi.lib code, but only my external, source controlled code.

As an example, I have a method that saves the current configuration to disk without closing the reference.  With the NI palette vi's, the only place to save is if the reference to the config object is closed (via theClose Config Data.vi).  If I want to keep the configuration reference open for the life of the program (days), then there's no way to save the configuration!  In the past I just called the underlying Save Config File.vi and things were golden.  But this is now marked as private!  My only hope that I've come up with so far is to make my own copy of this vi, but then I don't get any fixes they make on each release without manually copying it again.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I tried making a friend library, but unfortunately the declaration of friends has to go the other way (the NI_LVConfig.lvlib needs to declare my library as a friend).  In addition, I would have to change the scope of the vi's to be private.

I considered making their library a sublibrary of my library, but it doesn't appear that that is supported any more, and all the vi's would have to be saved to mark them as members of my library anyway.

I've talked with B. Powell about this and he says NI is discussing the consequences now.  I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered and solved this issue out there?

Thanks!

Mike

Message 1 of 4
(2,760 Views)

I guess nobody solved this issue yet?  I'm having a lot of trouble updating old projects to LV2010 because of the NI_LVConfig.lvlib.

How do I solve this problem?  :manmad:

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,339 Views)

I guess nobody solved this issue yet?  I'm having a lot of trouble updating old projects to LV2010 because of the NI_LVConfig.lvlib.

How do I solve this problem?  :manmad:

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,338 Views)

Hey Bruce,

Are you getting any specific error when upgrading, or is it simply the same issue as above? Do you have any differences in your system from the one above?

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,296 Views)