From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing large enum cuts off elements

1. Open the attached ctl file.
  2. Click File>>Print...
  3. Check just the control and hit Next
  4. Check VI documentation and hit Next
  5. Choose Complete from the dropdown menu and hit Next
  6. Choose Plain text file and hit Next
  7. On the Plain Text settings you can do whatever you want here because it always yields the same result

When you open the output file it is limiting the amount of text for the enum control to 255 characters.  Anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,251 Views)

Can you back up and say why it is you want to do this?

Do you actually need this in the "Documentation" format, or are you trying to get a complete list of the enum options for other reasons?

The "Print" command in LabVIEW doesn't have many configurable options, so you're probably stuck with what it does, but maybe there's a workaround towards getting to your end goal?

Message 2 of 8
(2,208 Views)

Kyle,

Thanks for the response.  So this issue was actually discovered by two colleagues.  Basically one of them is writing LabVIEW GUIs and the other one will use the print VI to get all of the controls and indicators in a format that he uses Java to pull into his application.  He's sort of recreating the GUI but in Java because that's what they use in his group.  So any time the LabVIEW GUI changes he will run print for a bunch of VIs and controls and then his Java app sucks it all in.

I can write something to script it and get what we need out of it.... it is just a whole bunch of extra work that seems unnecessary due to this "feature".

I was hoping someone had a cfg setting or some  other trick that could fix this.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,169 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

Kyle,

Thanks for the response.  So this issue was actually discovered by two colleagues.  Basically one of them is writing LabVIEW GUIs and the other one will use the print VI to get all of the controls and indicators in a format that he uses Java to pull into his application.  He's sort of recreating the GUI but in Java because that's what they use in his group.  So any time the LabVIEW GUI changes he will run print for a bunch of VIs and controls and then his Java app sucks it all in.

I can write something to script it and get what we need out of it.... it is just a whole bunch of extra work that seems unnecessary due to this "feature".

I was hoping someone had a cfg setting or some  other trick that could fix this.

You are going to have to admit that this is a real corner case.  I've been here since 2009 and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this issue before.  The only thing I can think of is a VI with that typedef'd (I hope) enum that gets the strings (or strings and values) property of the control and writes it out to a delimited text file.  Then every time the enum changes, run the VI.  (If it's typedef'd, it will update.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 8
(2,163 Views)

@billko wrote:

You are going to have to admit that this is a real corner case. 

Definitely a corner case.  Not saying it isn't.  However, I don't think it's wrong to ask if anyone knows of a "fix" for something that behaves unexpectedly. For instance- Why did NI choose to limit enum printing to 255 characters?  In today's age of computing that seems like a very small number of characters to limit it to.

@billko wrote:
  I've been here since 2009 and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this issue before.  

Also, not sure where "here" is, but just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

@billko wrote:

The only thing I can think of is a VI with that typedef'd (I hope) enum that gets the strings (or strings and values) property of the control and writes it out to a delimited text file.  Then every time the enum changes, run the VI.  (If it's typedef'd, it will update.)

Yes this is a simple solution that can be done as noted in my previous reply.  However, if there's a cfg or simple fix to the existing tool I'd much prefer that.

Thanks for the response and help.  I always enjoy finding your solutions on the forums.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,159 Views)

I didn't mean to imply that it never happened, but that it seems exceedingly rare - a corner case.

"Here" meant that I was registered with this forum for ten years, and I don't recall seeing a post complaining about the 255 character limit before.

That aside, I wish I could have helped you.  I think there might not be a solution that matches your requirement.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 8
(2,131 Views)

Thanks for the response.  I'm with you.  I don't think it's possible.  It never hurts to throw it out there though.

Appreciate it.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,129 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

@billko wrote:

You are going to have to admit that this is a real corner case. 

Definitely a corner case.  Not saying it isn't.  However, I don't think it's wrong to ask if anyone knows of a "fix" for something that behaves unexpectedly. For instance- Why did NI choose to limit enum printing to 255 characters?  In today's age of computing that seems like a very small number of characters to limit it to.

No idea as the cause of the bug, but 255 characters is the limit of Pascal strings, not sure why it is showing up here. Maybe there is some legacy code buried in there.

mcduff

Message 8 of 8
(2,103 Views)