From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent silent conversion of vi's/projects/libraries to new labview version

I created some libraries (.lvlib and .llb) for own use wth 2013, then accidently used them in lv 2015 vi's which i saved then.

however when i recognized this and wanted to open the libraries in 2013 again they could not be opened anymore.

labview just silently converted the libraries to the new version and did not warn me about this behaviour.

Is there a way to prevent this behaviour and at least get a warning about the conversion between versions?

After that issue i tried to save back the libs to lv 2013 which again caused problems, because instead of simply overwriting

the contained vi's with the 2015 stamp replacing them with versions with a 2013 stamp

it always wants to create a completely new directory structure which again breaks the dependencies.

at this point i started to regret wrapping vi's into libraries at all instead of simply using the single vis.

So there is the second question: Any way to save back the libraries to 2013 preserving the original directory structure?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,717 Views)

Hi Lab,

which i saved then. … did not warn me about this behaviour.

Well, you had to acknowledge that save dialog. And you had the chance to read why you are enforced to save!

It wasn't that silent and you got a warning!

Any way to save back the libraries to 2013 preserving the original directory structure?

Well, that's the point where you should think about some kind of source code control (aka SVN or GIT). They are very nice tools to go back to older versions without hassle…

You surely have backups of all your important data (read: "source code") so just pick a backup with those LV2013 VIs!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,711 Views)
There is also an options setting about not asking to change "automatic" changes -- like recompiles. You want to set a configuration setting that causes read-only files to be treated as locked. Then set the VIs as read-only.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,688 Views)

Thank you, i found that option. Up to now, thanks to version control, i was at least able to get the 2015 vis running again.

So the situation is becoming better again.

However i don't understand why the "treat read only vis as locked" should prevent that version conversion issue i had.

I saved the vis with strg-s and i did not get any feedback to acknowledge save so i still feel my post was reasoned.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,641 Views)
The treat read-only VIs as locked just helps prevent spurious saves in general by warning you if you try to modify a read only file.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,630 Views)