LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferences Menu item on Mac OS X

Perhaps a silly question, but I just can't figure this one out....

When I write an Application on Mac OS X there is an automatic "Preferences" menu item under the application menu.

I don't seem to be able to access this menu selection from within my VI.  Is it a User Menu, App Menu or what.  None of them seem to be returning tags which I could use to recognise what was selected.

Anybody know how to do this?

Shane. 

Message Edited by Intaris on 05-12-2009 06:45 AM
Message Edited by Intaris on 05-12-2009 06:45 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,395 Views)

I think that is one of the things Apple likes to see in applications on the Mac.  In the development environment Preferences... is the same as Options... under tools (I think).  No Mac user would ever think to look for the Options... item, so this is one part of the Mac user interface which NI got right.  They still have some other things messed up like using the control meta key for things which every other Mac program uses the command key.

As for programmatic access, I have never tried that.  The Preferences file (a.k.a. .ini file on some other OSes) is located at Macintosh HD:Users:johnsold:Library:Preferences:LabVIEW.app 8.6 Preferences

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,386 Views)

I appreciate that it's just a "mac" way of doing things, but having written an App recently on Mac, my customer automatically wants to be able to set his options under this menu entry.

I don't see how I can do this with LV.  I don't see any menu being selected when I go to the "About" Menu item for example on a built app.

I really like that the preferences files are stored per user.  I think Apple have done something really useful with the system-wide preferences menu item.  I just need access to it from LabVIEW.....

I want to launch my settings VI when this menu item is selected in my application. 

Shane. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,383 Views)

Shane,

I see what you mean.  The File, Edit, ... menus are readily accessible but the  Apple and LabVIEW menus are not.  Obviously most of the items in those menus are OS calls, but the Preferences and About LabVIEW items are not (exclusively anyway).  Someone from NI or Apple will have to enlighten us on this one.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,377 Views)

Zombie thread: Does anyone have any insight on this?    In our case we used to be capturing the "About <appname>" and using our about screen and it recently broke but it's a complete mystery as I have no idea how we ever made it work in the first place.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,237 Views)