LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Practical Limits on Number of Queues/Notifiers?

@Steve Chandler wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Lack of memory aside, if the queues die I would guess at 65535 queues. But I suspect they will not fail until you get to millions and at that point memory would be involved.

Ben

That would be a good guess although I am sure it is very educated!

In the snippet above enter some huge crazy number of queues - like a million. In the dequeue for loop typecast the reference to a string and set it to hex display. The queues will be created, the enqueues will all work, then the dequeue for loop will start. It will freeze once the last two bytes of the queue reference rolls over from FFFF.

That's ok - "64K queues ought to be enough for anybody"

Anybody care to explain WHY 64K?

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(593 Views)

Anybody care to explain WHY 64K?

Ben 

I'm guessing it a reference to the quote of 640K of memory should be enough for anybody

Hi guys,

I am working on a similar idea with many queues with size of 1 element. I am courious whether you were succesfull or you discovered any problem with many-queues application...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(469 Views)

Hi charlie87.

As was shown throughout this forum post, people were able to create VIs that used thousands and even tens of thousands without any issues. If issues do come up, it may not be from the number of queues, but rather the architecture of the code itself. Although, it is, indeed, possible to create enough queues that there would be issues with your computer's memory, but we can't know for sure unless you are creating upwards of millions of queues.

If you are running into any issues with an application, I would recommend you create a new post with some details on the problem along with a screenshot of your code. People here may be able to do a good job of finding out where the issue is located.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(415 Views)