From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power output hardware for LV Function Generator

Dear all,

I would like to design a rectangular pulse generator width adjustable pulse width in LV to build a stroboscope for a power LED.

Are you aware of simple hardware diagrams or devices that could convert the low current output from a PC connected DAQ device to drive a high power LED with a power consumption in the 1-3 Amps range? (Note, the LED is run with constant voltage, brightness is controlled by current).

Many thanks for consideration

Holger

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,223 Views)

It sounds like all you need is a switch.  Select a power MOSFET with a current rating of 5-10 A, a voltage rating greater than the power supply voltage to the LED and a gate threshold voltage low enough that it turns on fully with the logic level output from your DAQ digital output.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,218 Views)

Thanks Lynn, I am not an electronic expert but are you saying that

• I should connect the signal output to the gate of the MOSFET? Direct with no resistor etc?
  • Connect the DAQ signal ground with the ground of the LED driver?
  • Would the simple example here work: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran_7.html
  • Can you give a suitable Power MOSFET type number?

many thanks for your help

Holger

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,205 Views)

Yes that circuit would work.  The resistor from the gate to ground assures that the transistor stays non-conducting if the LED power supply is one and the DAQ device is not.

I do not have a part number to recommend off the top of my head and I have some work of my own to do now so I cannot look something up for you.  I may have some time later in the day.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,199 Views)

Thanks Lynn, I found a "logic level" FET IRLU 024N with a DS capability >10A - that'll do 🙂

Many thanks indeed for your help.

Holger

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,189 Views)