LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to save data to fpga target for later use?

Is it possible to write data to the FPGA target (PCI-7813R) and store it so another program can access the data at a later time?

I'm going to read in data from an outside source using an FPGA, and ideally use the host vi to manipulate the data, then store it on the target. I'm not sure if it is possible to do from the host, or even the FPGA vi. I realize I can just use the "write to file" function, but it would be more efficient to use the PCI card as the storage device. I know there is plenty of RAM available, but I don't know if the data will be stored after I exit LabVIEW. I wrote some sample programs to test it, and it looks like I won't be able to accomplish what I'm attempting, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

Ryan 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,627 Views)

Ryan,

The way the FPGA is configured, the memory inside it is also only available as RAM, so your storage would have to be temporary and limited to the time the system is powered on.  I'm not sure if you are trying to use this storage including power cycling of the board.  There is FLASH on the board, but this is used only to store the FPGA image as it is originally compiled.  So if the data was in the form of default values for controls on your VI then you could compile it as such, but if you want these controls' default values to be changed you would have to go through the entire compilation process again. 

What you can do is store data in a FIFO or RAM on the FPGA and use multiple VIs to call the FPGA VI reference, but you need to keep track of this reference so that the FPGA VI doesn't get reset or re-downloaded when the next host VI runs, and this only counts if the power hasn't been removed as well.

-James

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,609 Views)