From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Mac LabView DAQ Application to Windows XP

I have a LabView Application written using LabView 2011 on Mac OS X.  It uses 
the NI-DAQmx Base drivers.  I am porting that code to a Windows machine running 
XP and LabView 2012.  Trying to run the code, I received errors requesting the 
DAQmx Base drivers for Windows.  I installed Ni-DAQmx Base 3.7.0 which is 
compatible with LabView 2010-2013.  We are performing data acquisition using a 
USB-6211.  In the ReadMe for  Ni-DAQmx Base 3.7.0 it says that for USB DAQ 
module compatibility you must also install NI-DAQmx version 8.7.2.  "Any other 
version of NI-DAQmx automatically downloads incompatible firmware that NI-DAQmx 
Base 3.7.0 does not support."  However NI-DAQmx version 8.7.2 does not support 
LabView 2012.  The latest version it supports is LabView 8.6.  And to my 
knowledge one cannot install two different versions of NI-DAQmx.  Thus if we  
install NI-DAQmx 8.7.2 then we cannot also install a NI-DAQmx version that will 
work with LabView 2009-2013.

What is the way out of this mess?  I thought that LabView was cross-platform 
compatible.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,442 Views)

Since you are using DAQmx Base, do you really care if LabVIEW does not support the older version of DAQmx? You won't be calling the DAQmx functions and unless I'm mistaken, it should not matter if they are not on the palette.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,430 Views)

As I am not the only user of the system, yes it matters that the current LabView installation can run with the latest DAQmx drivers for Windows.  Cross-platform compatibility should not mean that I need to disable any Windows data acquisition code in order to run LabView code written on the Mac.

But the point is moot:  I tried to uninstall the current DAQmx drivers and install the old version but I could not.  The current version uninstalls, but the old version will not install since it is not compatible with LabView 2010-2013.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,409 Views)

Steve,

The reason the DAQmx Base readme lists 8.7.2 as the required driver to be install along with Base is so that compatibility can be maintained for Base. Starting in DAQmx 8.8, the newer version of the USB firmware 600x used was no longer compatible with the protocol found in DAQmx Base. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to maintain USB support while using newer versions of DAQmx. Since this is on Windows, the recommended action is to convert your Base VIs to regular DAQmx VIs.

There's a tool that may work to help you fo that here: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/446/lang/en

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,375 Views)