I have been trying to find the solution for this some time already. Since my program has lots of measured values I want to include the following functionality:
1) Normally values are read out in a while loop and written to numeric indicators.
2) In some cases a representation of the trend is needed for certain values. In those cases it should be possible to click the corresponding indicator and a popup should come up, showing the previous and future trend of that indicator. (The main program should keep on running)
3) The poped up graphs should be closeable. But when they come back up, they should show the entire trend again.
To achieve this my plan is to include an event structure to handle the clicks onto the indicators. However i am not quite sure how to create the popups. If I start another VI inside the event structure as a popup, the main program would pause until I close the popup, right? Another idea i had is to start the popup for every indicator at the beginning of the program and then only change the visibility of the popups with the property nodes. The information would then be constantly parsed to the popups with a queue. But the things I tried so far in that direction were not very promissing
I am a bit stuk with this situation and hope you can give me some hints to keep going! Thanks in Advance!
I am working on a similar problem in my project. I can tell you what my Idea is till now.
1. opening the VI in a way, that the main vi does not freeze: try static VI call like shown in the attachment.
2. to bring data to this window you can use a queue, a notifier or an action engine. To keep a history you maybe should use an action engine design or just read some history from a file when starting the VI.
What you want to do is certainly possible. It will require three steps:
Note that VI properties will be very important for your launched VI. You probably do not want it to be a default dialog, since that will make it modal (on top, intercepts all input). Whether or not you want to show scroll bars, title, etc is dependent on your application.
Good luck. Keep posting if you need help.
did the recommendations of DFGray help you with your problem?
If yes, let the readers of this thread know. 🙂
I couldnt open the files, since im still using LabVIEW 8.2, but i with the advices I managed to find a solution. It includes the static VI call and the queues as mentioned above. Attached is my result 🙂 Thanks for your help!!!!!