LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot counter output

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie at Labview, so my question will probably seem very simple to you!!

I wish to control external hardware using a counter; I have achieved this by using the NI example .vi 'Gen Dig Pulse Train-Continuous.vi' (please see attached) and everything looks and works fine.  However, I want to see the counter output also, in say a waveform graph.  I have attempted to attach in the usual generic plots and connect it up at various points in the code but nothing has worked.

Any ideas?  I'd be very appreciative!

Miika

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,784 Views)

Hello Miika,

to see the actual output of the counter you will have to connect the output terminal of the counter to a digital input on your device and set up digital data acquisition task. You will find numerous examples about it in the Example Finder. Also check this page for more information.

Daniel

Dániel Fülöp
Field Application Engineer (CLA, CTA)
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,779 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks you for your response. 🙂

Can you suggest a specific example?  I have been looking and am unsure what to be searching for.

I have tried writing a different code (DAQ assistant) but I still cannot generate an output.

Kind regards,

Miika

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,764 Views)

Hello Miika,

you can use the DAQmx Connect Terminals VI to connect the output of your counter internally to one of the digital inputs. You can find it on the Measurement I/O -> DAQmx - Data Acquisition -> DAQmx Advanced -> DAQmx Signal Routing palette. It has terminals for a source and a destination to specify the two endpoint of the connection. The connection remains in place until the next hardware reset, or you can destroy the connection manually with the DAQmx Disconnect Terminals VI (same palette). If you want to connect the output of one of your counters, you will need to use Ctr0InternalOutput or Ctr1InternalOutput as one endpoint. If it is not shown on the list of the control or constant, right click, choose I/O Name Filtering... and check the Advanced Terminals checkbox.

Be very careful with what you connect, because improper use of this VI (connecting two outputs for example) can physically harm your device!

Daniel

Dániel Fülöp
Field Application Engineer (CLA, CTA)
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,744 Views)